What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Select Predicted word w/out touching?

mdavis501

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 12.9 Ipad pro 3rd generation running 12.3.1. I have the Apple hardware keyboard attached most of the time. I'm new to Apple products.

When I type on the hardware keyboard (which seems to have a wonderful feel) in any document app, such as Pages, I see predicted words in a grey bar that is at the bottom of the screen. Often the predictive words appear very quickly, before i have even typed half the letters. I'd like to use the suggested/predicted word, but the only way I can see to do this is to remove my hands from the keyboard and touch the word. This is extremely inefficient and I could easily have typed the word faster than stopping to touch the word and then re-positioning my fingers to the keyboard.

Is there a keyboard procedure (shortcut or key combination) that I can type to use the predicted word without removing my hands from the keyboard? I've tried all of the keys that would make sense to me but to no avail.

Am I missing something?

Note: there are times when I'm typing and the word or words are highlighted in the grey bar showing the suggested words. When the word/words are highlighted I see that I can merely press the space bar key and it will use the suggested word/words. It's not clear what causes the highlighting of some words and most of the time NO highlighting.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorry. I don’t know of anyway to do this. I’ve never heard of one, and a bit of research doesn’t turn up any hints.

The words that get highlighted are probably from text replacement, or autocorrect. In both cases, hitting the space key (or punctuation) accepts the suggestion. I don’t see these often, since I usually have autocorrect off, and trim my text replacements to the minimum I find useful.

Most reactions