What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Security of Email on IPAD

aust3333

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering if there is a way that I can secure my email from being read if I let someone use my IPAD. For instance, the way it stands, all you have to do is click on the mail icon and away you go. Is there some way that I can set it to require a password everytime my email is accessed? I know that I can set a passcode on the entire IPAD and keep people out of the IPAD in its entirety but was looking for a secure method only pertaining to email only. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

lprmcnit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe, out of the box, the only option is the device passcode. You could set it at a low value, however. I looked under settings and also email setup, thinking there would be a choice, there, like in (shudder) Windows Mobile to save your email password ( which you could uncheck, so you would need to enter it each time), but there isn't. Perhaps someone else is familiar with an alternative security method for email only

OP
A

aust3333

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anybody have any other suggestions regarding this?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you insist on loaning your iPad to people you don't trust when you tell them, "Please do not click on the Email icon.", then you should probably temporarily de-activate your email account.

Go into Settings | Mail, Contacts, Calendars | Your email account Once there, you can move the slider for your email to the OFF position --

ipad44.jpg

And this will make your email inactive --

ipad45.jpg

If this does not help you, maybe you are loaning your iPad to the wrong people or you shouldn't be using it for personal or sensitive data.

OP
A

aust3333

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you insist on loaning your iPad to people you don't trust when you tell them, "Please do not click on the Email icon.", then you should probably temporarily de-activate your email account.

Go into Settings | Mail, Contacts, Calendars | Your email account Once there, you can move the slider for your email to the OFF position --

If this does not help you, maybe you are loaning your iPad to the wrong people or you shouldn't be using it for personal or sensitive data.

I don't loan the pad out but email is personal. I don't have anything to hide in my email but it doesn't mean everyone should have access to it at just a click of a button either. My kids play on the IPAD occasionally and I am more concerned with them possibly deleting or me missing a potentially important email because someone went in and decided to browse intentionally or unintenionally. Bottom line is, email is a personal thing and would be nice to have it more secure on such an open device. I love the IPAD but anywhere else you try and access your email a login is required. Just wish it was similar on the IPAD platform.

Last edited:

Nicholas76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.fashionshoppings.com

ipad44.jpg

ipad45.jpg

This method does not apply?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess Apple envisioned the iPad to be more of a "personal" piece of hardware that wouldn't be shared. You do bring up a very good point about letting other family members use it and doing something accidentally. I suspect that sharing an iPad, especially among family members, is probably being done more with an iPad than with other Apple mobile devices.

The only way to change it is let Apple know. If enough people make them aware of the situation, it could be incorporated into a future iOS... maybe. But until that time, your best bet is to temporarily de-activate the account.

OP
A

aust3333

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess Apple envisioned the iPad to be more of a "personal" piece of hardware that wouldn't be shared. You do bring up a very good point about letting other family members use it and doing something accidentally. I suspect that sharing an iPad, especially among family members, is probably being done more with an iPad than with other Apple mobile devices.

The only way to change it is let Apple know. If enough people make them aware of the situation, it could be incorporated into a future iOS... maybe. But until that time, your best bet is to temporarily de-activate the account.

Yep, I do have it inactive at this time but was hoping for something more secure. Oh well, I'll mention it to Apple and see what happens. Thanks for all the replies.

Ratata

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would not have any mail function without password, it surprises me that so many seems not to care who can read their mail - or trust people that they will not read. I might be grumpy but until there is a password for the mail account I will not use it. Agree that we need to make Apple understand that some or us want some privacy.

Loveipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could use webmail but why should you? Apple should make things a little more secure... what happens if you device is stolen? Or someone fancies viewing your private email? In terms of security Apple could learn a thing or two from Research In Motion.

DGinNJ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same issue with my ipad2. I asked a guy at the local Apple store if email could be secured on the iPad and he looked at me like I had 3 eyes.

Apple are you listening ? This is pretty basic stuff.

Most reactions

Latest posts