What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second ipad

mij1950

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Spouse now has iPad. Do we need a different iTunes account or her to sync up?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
IMNSHO, the easiest way for you to manage your two iPads is to use the same iTunes account and then just pick-n-choose which apps and such get put on which iPad.

That way, y'all don't have to re-purchase the same apps and you only have to maintain one account.

It's how I maintain both my iPad1 and my mom's iPad2. She only has a few things on hers - but her iPad has it's own name and I run it through my account.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

OP
M

mij1950

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I connect second iPad, iTunes does not seem to recognize it

Kingsmuse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn`t recommend sharing an Apple ID for any reason.

You will run into more hassles than any potential savings is worth.

Use two separate ID`s for purchasing and syncing.

Dawgluver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My husband and I each have separate accounts for our IPads, but are able to share apps by using one or the other's password on either machine.

Dawgluver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mij1950 said:
When I connect second iPad, iTunes does not seem to recognize it

This happened for my husband's account, there's some box I needed to check on the ITunes account page on my PC. I was then able to sync it.

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Both my wife's and my iPads are on the same iTunes account. We just used the pick-and-choose method Marilyn suggested when we got the second one. Now, when we find a new app we both want, we just download it to both at the same time. Works great.

smbyers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been covered but search didn't find my question...
I have been sharing an iPad w/my almost-5 granddaughter who is autistic. I can't keep her from meddling in my 'things' so I've ordered another. I've managed everything in my account, but would like to find easiest way for mostly different apps on the 2 w/some overlap. (We both love angry birds!)

I have now set up an Apple account for her on my iTunes/ computer but she will not have any purchasing capability or access to sign-in info. I figured for new things I would 'gift this app'. We each have some paid apps already. How will I move my apps from her iPad without losing data contained in them? For apps already purchased, will I have to buy again for the second iPad? Am I better off keeping the one account and sorting through everything when I sync each one? We have over 130, so this would be an ongoing chore. Any suggestions appreciated.

BTW...This is a TERRIFIC tool for these kids. GD loves it and took to it immediately. Lots of good learning games and tools available, many free.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
smbyers said:
Apologies if this has been covered but search didn't find my question...
I have been sharing an iPad w/my almost-5 granddaughter who is autistic. I can't keep her from meddling in my 'things' so I've ordered another. I've managed everything in my account, but would like to find easiest way for mostly different apps on the 2 w/some overlap. (We both love angry birds!)

I have now set up an Apple account for her on my iTunes/ computer but she will not have any purchasing capability or access to sign-in info. I figured for new things I would 'gift this app'. We each have some paid apps already. How will I move my apps from her iPad without losing data contained in them? For apps already purchased, will I have to buy again for the second iPad? Am I better off keeping the one account and sorting through everything when I sync each one? We have over 130, so this would be an ongoing chore. Any suggestions appreciated.

BTW...This is a TERRIFIC tool for these kids. GD loves it and took to it immediately. Lots of good learning games and tools available, many free.

If it were me, I would keep the one account, you can choose which apps do and don't get synced to each iPad within iTunes. She won't be able to buy anything herself through iTunes as it requires your password.

The Archangel

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I synch several iPads and other iDevices to one account without problem. Each device has its own profile on iTunes, so I synch only the apps and content that I choose. I even synch my husband's iPad for him, because he hates iTunes and avoids it at all costs, and he's in IT and usually does all our tech stuff, lol.

By the way, OP, you don't have to sort through apps much once you've set to manual synching on iTunes. If you just leave your granddaughter's profile toggled on to updating specific apps, you only need to toggle on again to any new app you want synched to her iPad. iTunes remembers thereafter.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts