What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backing up on a second computer

jeol1029

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The computer (1) I initially backed up my Ipad with is owned by the company I work with. I'd like to use my personal computer (2) for backups instead but iTunes creates only one backup of the iPad and it only syncs parts of the content into the computer (2). When I right click the device and select the option "backup your device" on computer (2) it does not back up everything (it only transfer some apps from the ipad and only the songs I purchased on iTunes). When I try to sync on computer (2), it alarms me saying that the content of the iPad will be replaced with the content of the iTunes library of computer (2). Could someone give me a tip how to back up my iPad on computer (2)? Would deleting the first backup solve the problem? How do I delete the first backup?

My computer (2) runs Windows 7 and my iPad (32G-3G) runs OS 3.2.2.

Thanks!!

mwhartman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to purchase an iPad but I had a similar experience with my iPod. My work computer was Windows. At home I have an iMac and MacBook Pro.

I was abel to break the relation ship with the work computer and reset my iPod. Is that still an option?

Mike

OP
J

jeol1029

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How did you do that? I don't have an iPod but I guess if you'd tell me how you did it, I'd probably figure it out on the iPad.
Thanks for your comment!

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jeol1029, if what I am understanding correctly what you're describing: your iPad has been synced with Computer 1 (at work) and you are now trying to make a copy of your iPad onto Computer 2 (at home). I had a similar situation, and what I did was:

1. From the Store menu, authorize iTunes on Home Computer with the same account used to acquire the apps on the iPad.

2. Connect iPad to iTunes.

3. Under the File option, select "Transfer Purchases from (device name)".

As you've surmised, clicking on "Sync" will effectively replace your iPad with whatever is in your iTunes library, and if there are no apps there, iTunes will sync "nothing" to your device, effectively cleaning it out.

The Apple support page for this (with a bit more detail) is at: iTunes Store: Transferring purchases from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to a computer

OP
J

jeol1029

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks tzimisce for your tip. I tried it and it only synced iTunes purchases to the new computer. Music, books, videos etc. not purchased in iTunes don't transfer. I'll have to find a way to transfer EVERYTHING to the new computer. Thanks for your help though.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah, of couse, I see the problem. I also had a bunch of photos, e-books, PDFs, etc - but my workaround was simply to make a straight copy off Computer A (since all my purchases were from the computer rather than iPad) via USB flashdrive and copied them over into Computer B.

OP
J

jeol1029

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah, of couse, I see the problem. I also had a bunch of photos, e-books, PDFs, etc - but my workaround was simply to make a straight copy off Computer A (since all my purchases were from the computer rather than iPad) via USB flashdrive and copied them over into Computer B.
Thanks tzimisce for your response. That was my first intution. So I went ahead and copied everything I had on a external hard drive. Pics, songs, pdfs, and videos are not a problem because they can manually be transfered back to iTunes (even though it'll take many hours!!!!). The books though, are a problem. Amazon-kindle books, Barnes & Noble books, stanza books I don't know how to transfer to iTunes.

I just found this thread (Howto move my iPhone apps to my new MacBook Pro iTunes library? - MacRumors Forums) in a Macrumors forum that seems promising. I'll try and let you know.

Thanks for all your help

OP
J

jeol1029

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It worked!!

I tried what a guy named "WantStuff" suggested in the forums of macrumors and it worked perfectly (Howto move my iPhone apps to my new MacBook Pro iTunes library? - MacRumors Forums). Here are the steps:

FYI: Here's what I did... and it worked
I wanted to move everything from Windows XP to Windows 7. I have all my music on a network drive so this did not need to be copied, but I didn't want to loose my preferences, backups or synch settings.

So here's what I did:-

Installed iTunes on the Windows 7 machine and fired it up to complete the install using the default settings (these are unimportant and will get overwritten).

I copied the contents from the following XP folders into the respective Win7 folders:-
[XP] C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\Apple Computer\
[W7] C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\

[XP] C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\
[W7] C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Apple Computer\iTunes\

[XP] C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\
[W7] C:\Users\{username}\Documents\My Music\iTunes\
Then fired up iTunes on the Windows 7 PC and it was all there; iTunes preferences, device synch settings, Outlook calendars, Outlook contacts, device backups, etc.

Tested the install by synchronising my iPhone and iTouch. Nothing was deleted so all was good.

De-authorised my Win XP machine and packed it away for good!

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks to everybody, specially to "WantStuff". :D

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts