What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second Gen iPad this year

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DigiTimes today reports on rumors that Apple is looking to launch its second-generation iPad as soon as the fourth quarter of this year, adding OLED-based 5.6-inch and 7-inch models to its existing 9.7-inch LED display model.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So Apple wants the 2nd Gen iPad to be more like the Ipod Touch?

OP
C

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And a front and rear facing camera ??????? I bet that too

There has been considerable discussion over the past couple of days regarding possibilities for front- and rear- facing cameras in the next-generation iPod touch, sparked by claims that the device will carry an iPhone 4-like 5-megapixel rear-facing camera. While the assertions have since been reported to be speculation rather than claimed facts, it hasn't stopped the rumor mill and leaks from winding up.

Last edited:

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not until early summer next year. It's too late in the production season to re-tool, re-test, re-market and piss off the customers that made the original iPad such a success. Besides, I think Apple already has too many irons in the fire with the new iPhone - they may have to spend their time fixing issues there.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do you consider a small screen a second gen....seems like it would just be a different variety.

iDharma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would consider a 5.6" or 7" display to be a significant step down in iPad space. The display is the foundation from which all the rest of the iPad's niftyness arises.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
The downsizing really makes no sense to me. But others may find it useful. Like someone else said above, I just don't see a second generation hitting that fast. It would completely break from the usual Apple release traditions.

And for those thinking it is more than a rumor, just think how many times we've heard that the iPhone is "just about" to be released on Verizon. :D

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would be surprised to see Apple fragment the product line so much. Its not their style. They like to keep the options limited to one or two. I would also be VERY surprised to see it this year.

I dont think it would be a bad idea. The tablet form factor is still a very new concept. I could see the value of putting out a bunch of different sizes and seeing which one most people gravitate to. Its just not very Apple-ish to do such a thing though. They tend to put a lot into the design and tell everyone what size they really need. :)

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is never going to happen, and I will tell you why. What would they price it at? The 16gb wifi model is $499 as it is. That means that the 7" model could not be prices higher than $399 with similar storage and the 5" model would have to be priced at $299 or $349. The 5 inch model would pretty much destroy iPod touch sales, unless it was meant to replace the iPod touch, which seams unlikely. The 7" model would be in a weird limbo where it would be noticeably smaller than the original iPad, yet closely priced. Then you get into different storage options, and it turns into a giant cluster F. A 7" 64 GB would be similar in price to a 10" 32 GB?

It would be way too complicated and messy for me to believe that Apple would allow it. Not going to happen. Now if they replaced the iPod Touch with a 5" tablety thing, and then offered an iPad mini in the 7" model, that COULD work, but would still be messy.

RobotRock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ye, there's no way Apple would bring out another iPad this year. If they're bringing out new versions of anything else it would be the iPods or Apple Tv.

And I don't think the 2nd gen will be any different in size, it will just have better features.

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not until early summer next year. It's too late in the production season to re-tool, re-test, re-market and piss off the customers that made the original iPad such a success. Besides, I think Apple already has too many irons in the fire with the new iPhone - they may have to spend their time fixing issues there.

But these are made at Foxconn, where there are no seasons, only despair...

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Look for them to come out with the iPad's big brother: iSlate, which will run a scaled down version of OS X.

martinc31415

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the only difference were size and camera(s) I would not care either way. I like the size of mine and have no interest in a camera.

The only thing I would improve on my iPad is a faster 3g connection (that may be because the at&t network is not up to speed in my area) and more apps that I actually like.

I can not think of anything related to the iPad hardware with which I am not already satisfied.

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is what the iPad 2g should have when it is released in the the 3rd quarter 2011:

Dual core A8 CPU
1GB MINIMUM of RAM
32GB MINIMUM NAND memory
front facing camera, no rear facing camera.
USB port
HDMI out
SD card slot

It won't have many of these things, but it should.

OP
C

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do you consider a small screen a second gen....seems like it would just be a different variety.

Yup,, i would agree with that. In fact there would be two added varieties. I just quoted the article from digi that i read

Most reactions

Latest posts