What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Tablet may not include OLED Screen

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Macrumors reports that the Apple Tablet may not have the OLED screen has previously thought. Even as recent as last week I read something that suggested there was a shortage for 10.1 inch OLED screens.

Ars Technica examines the possibility, determining that the inclusion of an OLED screen in Apple's tablet is highly unlikely given the quantity of such screens available in the market.

Ars caught up with Barry Young, Managing Director of the OLED Association, and asked him about the state of OLED in general and the Apple tablet rumors in specific.

The problem with the recent rumor that Apple is hoarding 10-inch OLEDs, Young explained, is that "there's no real production of 10.1-inch panels" for anyone to hoard. If anyone were to produce a 10.1-inch panel, then it would have to be for a specific order. "I haven't seen any of the OLED suppliers commit to that yet," Young said of a hypothetical 10.1-inch panel production run.
According to Young, Samsung is the only company currently offering active matrix OLED panels in quantity, and it could only produce about 150,000 10.1-inch panels per month, with that level only being possible if the company shifted its entire production to that size of panel and abandoned its existing orders from other companies with which it is already struggling to keep up.

Apple has a long-term agreement with LG regarding development and supply of displays, but Young notes that LG has only 10-15% the capacity of Samsung when it comes to OLED technology, again insufficient to meet Apple's needs. Given the limited capacity of the OLED panel industry to supply Apple with such parts, Young's conclusion is that at best Apple could introduce a very expensive OLED model only in extremely limited quantities. Such a move would appear to agree with a November report claiming separate LCD and OLED models, with the OLED model coming in with a price tag near $2000, although it remains to be seen whether Apple would be willing to launch such a low-volume, high-cost niche product that would appear to be so similar to a cheaper LCD-based tablet offering.

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's good to see actual "speculation" backed up by logical thinking and facts to support the point.

I wouldn't put it past Apple to convince a supplier to shift 90% of it's capabilities to it's needs to win future business though.

They have done similar with NAND chips in the past.

new2u

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would however love it to have an OLED screen, they are so dang nice. I would however not like it as much if it were to cost $2000. It would have to be a substantial upgrade to the original to be worth an extra 1000 dollars.

iDoug

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's good to see actual "speculation" backed up by logical thinking and facts to support the point.

I wouldn't put it past Apple to convince a supplier to shift 90% of it's capabilities to it's needs to win future business though.

They have done similar with NAND chips in the past.

I have a feeling that if Apple ordered enough someone would get it done :cool:

Most reactions

Latest posts