What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Searching for files on iPad with iOS 7....

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Unless I've gone crazy, I can't seem to figure out how to search for files in iOS 7. Previously you just right swiped from the home screen.

Help a brother out! :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Go to one of your homescreens, tap somewhere on the screen (upper half is better) and swipe down (short swipe is enough). The Search option will appear at the top of the screen.

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Unless I've gone crazy, I can't seem to figure out how to search for files in iOS 7. Previously you just right swiped from the home screen.

Help a brother out! :)
Perform a short swipe from somewhere on the centre of the screen to bring out the spotlight search. If you do it from the top part, I mean the extreme top, notification centre opens up.

Spugnut

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For some reason, a four finger swipe does not work, but a three finger swipe does.

Sent from my iPad using IPF

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Perform a short swipe from somewhere on the centre of the screen to bring out the spotlight search. If you do it from the top part, I mean the extreme top, notification centre opens up.

Agree! On a home screen, a one-finger swipe seems to work for both but the clue is 'where' to start - the above has worked for me - :)

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For some reason, a four finger swipe does not work, but a three finger swipe does.

Sent from my iPad using IPF
Notification centre and spotlight search can be launched by swiping with only 1 finger. 4 and 5 finger swipes and pinches are for opening the list of open apps and for closing an app respectively. 3 finger swipes, as far as I know can be used for only 1 thing, which I currently don't remember. Oh!! My memory is fading away!!:D

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Agree! On a home screen, a one-finger swipe seems to work for both but the clue is 'where' to start - the above has worked for me - :)
Even the bottom of the screen works for spotlight search, the thing is that iPhone users do not get their fingers properly to the lower part of the screen when holding with only 1 hand, like most do, in portrait view, that's why the upper part is more preferred. That's what I think.:)

Most reactions