What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SD card use

Joeteck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think these things are great... I'm seriously considering the GoFlex Portable... 500 gig is ridiculous, but will be great for when the kids want to watch two different movies in the car... oh wait... I need another iPad...

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think these things are great... I'm seriously considering the GoFlex Portable... 500 gig is ridiculous, but will be great for when the kids want to watch two different movies in the car... oh wait... I need another iPad...

Yes, they are great. I tried the GoFlex back in 2011 with I had my iPad 2. I had to return it them because the software sucked big time. I think the same is true for the Air Stash in 2011, too. Both devices seem to have improved software wise. The Air Stash, in version 2, is smaller than the original model. I prefer it to the GoFlex because I think it travels better. On a trip, you just plug it in to USB power and your kids can stream 3 movies to 3 different iPads...and it runs all day. It can take up to 2TB on an SDXC card. Just personal preference, though.

Joeteck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They don't make a 2tb sd card though...and if they did that would be mad expensive. The largest available is 128gig and that's around $180. And is still 1/5th of the storage of the goflex, and that is $180. I downloaded both apps, and the goflex seems streamlined and very simple to use...

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They don't make a 2tb sd card though...and if they did that would be mad expensive. The largest available is 128gig and that's around $180. And is still 1/5th of the storage of the goflex, and that is $180. I downloaded both apps, and the goflex seems streamlined and very simple to use...

True on the costs....but the cards can be swapped out...and I have several ready...effectively making storage infinite. The size is about 1/5 when you consider you have to carry extra stuff with the goflex to charge it. Plus, the goflex is a spinning drive and that has dangers for mobile applications.

I hope the goflex is simple to use now...because it didn't used to be. It use to scan your entire drive and sort every image (even if it were part of an MP3) and give you a huge messy list what was impossible to work through. And it was slow to sort all of that too. I wrote long emails to their tech support about what they needed to do to it.

But I read similar things about the first Air stash too.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Screen shots of current air stash a02:

Attachments

• image-4094900830.jpg
    image-4094900830.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 243
  • image-3757808703.jpg
    image-3757808703.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 241
  • image-2236696553.jpg
    image-2236696553.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 239
  • image-119887210.jpg
    image-119887210.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 238
  • image-798976354.jpg
    image-798976354.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 258
  • image-27321338.jpg
    image-27321338.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

Evo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, good to be in such knowledgeable company, and by that I know jack about this sort of stuff. I do like the new ipad but what I was hoping for was to have the ability to insert the sd card and read off all my technical PDF manuals like a regulaat PC, I even bought the sd card accessory thinking that would do it, ha silly me. Is there an app on the market that will allow me to read my sd card through this attachment, or is that wishfull thinking. Thanks in advance.

Rob

Hi. The simplest thing you can do is what I did this morning with my 'Missing PDF's'. Simply put them in a folder on your PC/Laptop, open itunes, open the folder with the PDF's in, select all then simply drag them across to "Books" in itunes. Simple and free, no expensive bits of kit needed or wifi or any kind of connection at all.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Evo said:
Hi. The simplest thing you can do is what I did this morning with my 'Missing PDF's'. Simply put them in a folder on your PC/Laptop, open itunes, open the folder with the PDF's in, select all then simply drag them across to "Books" in itunes. Simple and free, no expensive bits of kit needed or wifi or any kind of connection at all.

No, nothing but iTunes. Argh!!!!!!! :)

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just got my GoFlex last week and so far I am loving it. I think the software is easy to use and it was a definite no brainer setup for the drive (PNP). I tranferred about a dozen flix over to it and it streams two at a time (only two iPads) with no lag or chop. I picked it up on QVC for $129 with a free bumper case.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
b00bie said:
I just got my GoFlex last week and so far I am loving it. I think the software is easy to use and it was a definite no brainer setup for the drive (PNP). I tranferred about a dozen flix over to it and it streams two at a time (only two iPads) with no lag or chop. I picked it up on QVC for $129 with a free bumper case.

Thank you b00bie for your notice about the GoFlex. This device has been on my buy list. I've seen it on Amazon and I've seen it @ Best Buy. But those retailers were pricing this device way above the US$129.00 with shipping and taxes, total came to US$149.00. Ordered it. I can't wait to get it and see how it works with my iPads.

UPDATE: b00bie, I ordered the GoFlex Satellite Drive. It arrived yesterday 05/07 and it is really super! Like you advised I bought it from QVC, they threw in a silicon sleeve. I got it all set up and now I've expanded what I can get through my iPad with the GoFlex Satellite Drive. At US$129.00 for 500GIG space, that's a pretty good price! Thanks again for your tip.

Last edited:

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Chillimaster said:
Can you write files to the GoFlex?

Yes, you can store files to the GoFlex from your PC but not from your iPad to the GoFlex. I understand from your other post that you will soon travel to Europe? If you are going First Class Airplane ride, you won't have a problem keeping yourself occupied. But in coach, you have limited selections of programs. A GoFlex would be great to have as you can store your movies onto the GoFlex and during the long flight watch your own movies on your iPad. BTW, password protect your GoFlex as it does allow up to three iPads to access it.

If you are seeking a device to store your photos while in Europe, the GoFlex won't do. You can get a camera connection kit for your iPad and import your files from your camera to your iPad. Or you can get a supply of memory cards and use a card per day that you are in Europe. That is what I do when I am on a multi day vacation photo shoot. On another thought--this may be cumbersome, but while in Europe, if you have access to a PC you can hook up a card reader on one USB port and then hook up the GoFlex drive on another USB port and copy or move from the memory card to the GoFlex.

The GoFlex drive on the PC side is just another external drive. On the iPad side, the GoFlex is another wifi source that you control and gives you access to its files that you stored.

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The drive is accessable only through the GoFlex App on your device so currently the answer is no. I assume it would be possible with the proper software update to have it run in the background and install links in appropriate programs so that the drive would appear in a dropdown window when you went to copy or save something. Right now you can only transfer files/media/folders when you plug it into your PC. Take a look on Seagates website for more detailed info.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the issue is simply how to get .pdf manuals into the iPad

the solution is very simple and that is exactly where I keep mine. iBooks. Simply import them into iTunes and hotsync.

rbee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok...here's my problem. My iPad will not read the sd card from my video camera. Will one of these devices allow me to access the video from my camera and load it on my iPad so I can edit it in iMovie?

Most reactions