What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems with iPad reading an SD card

Redhead07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recently I bought a new iPad 4 and a "lightning to sd card reader" from apple specifically for the iPad. Today I wanted to transfer a video and a few pictures that I had put on it to the iPad but when I plugged in the sd card I was prompted with a message saying "this accessory is not supported by this iPad". This wouldn't have been such a surprise if I hadn't already used the lightning to sd card reader to upload numerous videos and photos to my iPad. Any idea what might be wrong?
Also, I have already tried turning the iPad on and off, and removed and inserted the transfer cable many times.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Recently I bought a new iPad 4 and a "lightning to sd card reader" from apple specifically for the iPad. Today I wanted to transfer a video and a few pictures that I had put on it to the iPad but when I plugged in the sd card I was prompted with a message saying "this accessory is not supported by this iPad". This wouldn't have been such a surprise if I hadn't already used the lightning to sd card reader to upload numerous videos and photos to my iPad. Any idea what might be wrong?
Also, I have already tried turning the iPad on and off, and removed and inserted the transfer cable many times.

Hi there! Welcome to iPF!

Here is what you also could try. I hope one of these suggestions will help solve your problem:

Reboot your iPad: press and hold Home button and Power button at the same time until the Apple logo appears.

Inspect the connector on the iPad for bent or missing contacts, foreign material, corroded contacts, broken, missing or cracked plastic.

Reset all settings:
Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.
All your preferences and settings are reset. Information, such as contacts and calendars, will not be affected.

lewgarrotto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem could be with naming of files and folders.

1. The card or stick must have a directory named DCIM
2. There must be a sub-directory under DCIM... with an 8 character name with no spaces...
i.e., 100LEICA, 100NIKON etc.
3. The image files must be in the sub-directory. The file names must have 8 characters and no spaces
i.e/, L0000123.jpg, _PAS0123.jpg, NIK_0001.jpg, etc.

give it a try and see if that works.

retexan599

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem could be with naming of files and folders.

1. The card or stick must have a directory named DCIM
2. There must be a sub-directory under DCIM... with an 8 character name with no spaces...
i.e., 100LEICA, 100NIKON etc.
3. The image files must be in the sub-directory. The file names must have 8 characters and no spaces
i.e/, L0000123.jpg, _PAS0123.jpg, NIK_0001.jpg, etc.

give it a try and see if that works.

Also: I found that the SD card has to be formatted as a FAT like FAT32; it won't work if formatted as NTSF. And the 8 characters must be alpha or numeric or an underscore, no other characters.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts