What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SD Card Photos to iPad Pro Problem

DUTCH VanAtlanta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a 3rd generation iPad Pro 11 inch with iOS 15.6.1 software. I also have the Apple USB C to SD Card Dongle.

I cannot get the iPad to recognize the dongle when plugged into the USB C port on the iPad, so I am unable to transfer photos from the SD Card to the iPad.

Do I have a bad dongle? It used to work A-OK with earlier iOS versions. Suggestions? TIA!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To import to the Photos app, the card must be formatted correctly and the directory(s) must be named correctly. Filenames need to be no more than 8 characters and have compatible extensions. Generally, it has to be formatted in the camera itself. Anything else can be problematic.

The card should also show up in the Files app, in the side bar near the end of the Locations section. This won't allow you to import photos directly to the Photos app, but it should indicate that the iPad at least recognizes the format of the SD card.

It is possible to get photos into the Photos app through the Files app using the Share actions.

Too make sure it is the dongle and not the card at fault, try it with multiple cards.

OP
DUTCH VanAtlanta

DUTCH VanAtlanta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To import to the Photos app, the card must be formatted correctly and the directory(s) must be named correctly. Filenames need to be no more than 8 characters and have compatible extensions. Generally, it has to be formatted in the camera itself. Anything else can be problematic.
SD Card formatted and photos taken in camera. Worked A-OK the last time I did this about a year ago. Photos also move from the SD Card to my Windows desktop through an SD Card port A-OK.
The card should also show up in the Files app, in the side bar near the end of the Locations section. This won't allow you to import photos directly to the Photos app, but it should indicate that the iPad at least recognizes the format of the SD card.
It is possible to get photos into the Photos app through the Files app using the Share actions.
The card does NOT show up in the Files app.
Too make sure it is the dongle and not the card at fault, try it with multiple cards.
Same problem with multiple cards. The Apply USB C to SD Card dongle used to work fine and looks pristine, but it could be the problem. I hate to have to purchase a new one and find that it doesn't work, too.

Spent an hour on the phone yesterday with two different Apple Support techs trying several different things with no success.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. SD Card readers have always been a issue. I've even heard (but not confirmed) an Apple SD Card reader stopped working after an update. This was early on when only a handful of third party dongles worked. Most needed more power than the iPad would supply. Other than that it probably has to do with the drivers, and a rather lax standard for the readers. Or so I'd guess.

Is the iPad have a lightning port or USB-C? Only the first iPad Pro models had Lightning. Any model 2018 and later should be USB-C.

If it's USB-C, there are plenty of cheapish SD Card readers available.

I'm currently using a 4 in 1 card reader from SUNTRSI. I've only used it with standard SD cards (there are two other sizes/types). It works, and is compatible with all my devices/computers. It was only about $15.
8D940F15-8D9E-4F8D-9021-10DE6C52135D.jpeg

OP
DUTCH VanAtlanta

DUTCH VanAtlanta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok. SD Card readers have always been a issue. I've even heard (but not confirmed) an Apple SD Card reader stopped working after an update. This was early on when only a handful of third party dongles worked. Most needed more power than the iPad would supply. Other than that it probably has to do with the drivers, and a rather lax standard for the readers. Or so I'd guess.

Is the iPad have a lightning port or USB-C? Only the first iPad Pro models had Lightning. Any model 2018 and later should be USB-C.

If it's USB-C, there are plenty of cheapish SD Card readers available.

I'm currently using a 4 in 1 card reader from SUNTRSI. I've only used it with standard SD cards (there are two other sizes/types). It works, and is compatible with all my devices/computers. It was only about $15.View attachment 97437
My iPad Pro has the USB C port, and the dongle is the newer Apple model. It used to work A-OK before one of the earlier iOS updates.

I'll see if I can find another inexpensive reader and give it a try. Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts