What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen shots

rdkendrick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why is it so hard to do a screen shot with IOS10, now?
It keeps going inyo standby, and I have to reopen the iPad.
It's very hit & miss.
Anyone else having the problem?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
YEP - it's a pain! I take a LOT of screenshots and noticed this 'new' behavior shortly after installing iOS 10 on my iPad - you need to pretty much press the buttons exactly simultaneously - this has been discussed on the web, such as in this OSXDaily Article - I'm not sure if this feature can be changed relative to the timing between pressings (possibly in an update)? Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've had the problem intermittently. Sometimes it's almost impossible to take a screenshot and at other times it seems as easy as it used to be. I hope the problem is something that will be solved during the beta releases leading up to the iOS 10.1 release.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How are you guys finding this with the iPhone? I'm trying to replicate this (not having an iPad that can run iOS 10) and deliberately pressing the lock button before the home button (on my iPhone 5s) still results in a screenshot.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
How are you guys finding this with the iPhone? I'm trying to replicate this (not having an iPad that can run iOS 10) and deliberately pressing the lock button before the home button (on my iPhone 5s) still results in a screenshot.

Hi Kevin - wife has an iPhone 6, so just gave the 'screen capture' a try - the pressing of the ON-OFF button w/ the HOME button has to be nearly at the same time, i.e. replicates the behavior on my iPad Air 2 - Apple has to correct this 'timing' in the next update. Dave :)

P.S. this likely will impact on a LOT of older users - not sure that my wife can do this maneuver successfully on a routine basis - her 'finger skills' are not the best anymore, just saying.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Why not just use assistive touch?

OK - please explain how 'Assistive Touch' can improve using the 'screen capture' maneuver of using the simultaneous ON-OFF & HOME buttons to improve more effective captures? Thanks - Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
OK - please explain how 'Assistive Touch' can improve using the 'screen capture' maneuver of using the simultaneous ON-OFF & HOME buttons to improve more effective captures? Thanks - Dave :)

Assistive touch offers some one-tap shortcuts on the Home Screen. While not a default option, you can assign screenshot to be one. If you don't want assistive touch active all the time, you could set it up to turn on/off with a triple click of the home button.

I don't use it myself, but I don't have any problem getting screenshots on the iPad. The iPhone 7 is a bit trickier, but I rarely need a screenshot from my phone.

I've heard that assistive touch is popular in some east Asian countries, as an alternative to using the home button. It started with a reliablity problem with home button on older iPhone models but seems to have become the default for many.

Image.jpeg

Image.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
rdkendrick

rdkendrick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! Glad, but not happy, that it's not only me.
I did try pressing the power button, slightly first, but I still end up turning my iPad off, 10 times, before it takes it.
I hope they fix this with the next update, as I use this feature all the time, for online receipts.
I hope this reply finds you all well!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a theory, having just tried this again. This time pressing the home button first, then the lock button.

Maybe the key to this is not when you press the buttons but when you release them. I noticed that I was releasing them simultaneously even after deliberately pressing one and then the other.

Hopefully, I'll have an iPhone 7 Plus soon and I can experiment some more.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
IMG_7995.PNG
IMG_7994.PNG
Thanks for that @twerppoet

I had no idea that's possible. I like the way the assistive touch icon blanks out before the screenshot is taken. As far as I'm aware, the normal method doesn't do that.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You won't get a screenshot with the (small) icon on it, as long as the menu is not displayed. When you take a screenshot using Home and Power button, with the menu visible, it doesn't disappear. You can see the menu on the screenshot.

I had problems with taking screenshots when I started using Public Beta 10. Now that I'm used to the way it works, I don't have problems.

Most reactions

Latest posts