What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen rotation stuck!

Mersearib

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Today the screen on my iPad opens in landscape format only, and will not rotate to Portrait style with the iPad, but sometimes opens and stays upside down! I have not changed any settings and Lock Rotation for the side switch is off and set to Mute. Can anyone advise me please? I am running IOS 7.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Well, if indeed your 'side switch' is on Mute, then you might want to put it on 'Lock Rotation' and alternate the 'side switch' - then back again to 'Mute' - might work? But if not effective, then 'Reset' the iPad (directions below if not familiar w/ the maneuver) - let us know if any of these suggestions corrects the issue? Dave

Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Follow giradman's suggestion to the tee.

If that doesn't work, take it to the Apple store and let them check it. Be sure to perform a complete backup first. I had to have my iPad 2 replaced about 6-7 months after I bought it because the component inside the ipad that detects rotation failed. Apple was good about replacing it (mine was still in warranty, btw) after they satisfied themselves that there was really a problem. So test thorougly before going and if you have to go, just tell them what the problem is and let them do the rest. If yours is still under warranty or you have an active apple care +, you can get a replacement if there is a defect.

OP
M

Mersearib

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your advice. Having tried everything associated with the side switch and Lock settings, I did the re-set and it worked! I am most grateful for your help.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
GREAT! Yep, 'Reset' is like a hard reboot - helps to clean out the cobwebs - :D Dave

Yep. Had this happen to me the other day but I still suspected the app itself had gotten all foobed up. Never had it happen since?

Most reactions

Latest posts