What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Display mode switch for Portrait/Landscape

leotb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:mad: My iPad's Portrait/Landscape display mode switch above the Volume control switch is acting wrongly now. It no longer locks the display image to Portrait or Landscape mode. Instead, when slid down to locked position, it mutes the volume and vice-versa, while the display image will rotate to protrait or landscape mode whenever I rotate the iPad. I wonder if I had inadvertently set this switch to the Mute function??!! :confused:

Can anyone tell me now to rectify the "faulty" display mode lock switch?

Thanks a lot. ;)
leotb

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You cannot. If you had the switch as a display orientation lock, you were running iOs before version 4.2.1.
They changed the locking function to mute with that version.
Maybe you can get the locking function back once you jailbreak your device (although I haven't found a settings app for that yet).
The other way is to go back to iOs before 4.2.1.
But you'll have to look in the hacking section of the forum for this.

I hope I could help.

PCUK

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The rotate lock is now moved. Double click the exit button and scroll left on the new bottom section until you see the rotate lock button.

OP
L

leotb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you, Mike_73 and PCUK.
Indeed I had upgraded to iOS 4.2.1 and did not realized the new OS changed this button's function and introduced additional functions to the bottom docking bar! Found out I can control brightness and volume there too!

Your quick responses really cleared my headache.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That upgrade is a downgrade in that regard

I used my rotate lock all the time and had no need for a mute key as there was already one called the volume down key. Bad upgrade.

I have no exit button so cannot approach a solution like suggested above.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By "exit" button, PCUK just meant the Home button on the bottom-same old one that you use to wake iPad up from sleep, or to bring up the multi-tasking, etc, so you should have no problem.
It's a 3 step process now instead of one, but just press home twice and scroll over to the left and you'll find it there.

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used my rotate lock all the time and had no need for a mute key as there was already one called the volume down key. Bad upgrade.

I have no exit button so cannot approach a solution like suggested above.

Yeah, in terms of the screen orientation lock it definitely is a downgrade.
Is there a tweak for jailbroken devices to assign this function back to the hardware switch. I guess I wouldn't mind having the lock button in the taskbar if it were visible after the double press of the home button, but I hate to scroll through my recently used apps first.

Most reactions