What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen protector or no?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is amazing to read all the different opinions on screen protectors. Obviously, folks should do what makes you feel happy with your purchase and what you feel you need to do to protect it....that's why I have a skin on the back of my iPad even though it is inside a case with additional back protection. I sometimes take it out of the case and put it on my desk....but something as
simple as that can get me a scratch in the back. For me, I put my effort in protecting the AL back than the screen. Experiences shows that I am pretty careful with screens.....never had a single scratch in any screen.....but that back!!????

Daylife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
It is amazing to read all the different opinions on screen protectors. Obviously, folks should do what makes you feel happy with your purchase and what you feel you need to do to protect it....that's why I have a skin on the back of my iPad even though it is inside a case with additional back protection. I sometimes take it out of the case and put it on my desk....but something as
simple as that can get me a scratch in the back. For me, I put my effort in protecting the AL back than the screen. Experiences shows that I am pretty careful with screens.....never had a single scratch in any screen.....but that back!!????

Yeah, I think the back needs to be protected WAY more then the screen... Putting it on a desk can leave a permanent scratch.

Krooked

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@beesknees

Thank you for your response. Well, I'm not sure about the benchmark tests but I don't think the screen protectors industry would be as successful as it is now if it wasn't properly protecting their devices. While the gorilla glass is strong, I've noticed on many forums that they do get scratched and that's where the protectors come in. If you choose to go without one, that's fine, but I personally would rather be safe than sorry. Let me know if you have any developments on this.

They're successful mainly because in the past these protectors actually had a purpose. I remember people gouging and scratching their Palm OS devices a decade ago, but they only had hard plastic screens. So, naturally, most people bought protector screens.

Gorilla Glass is a different animal altogether (excuse the pun). You can look up some of the tests they've run these screens though, Forcibly running keys, screws, and coins across them and not a mark. The protection screens "toughness" are a joke when measured against the raw IPad's screen. I've now handled 3 original IPads and an IPad 2, all of which have never had screen protection and none of them have a blemish on the screen.

Granted, you can scratch glass, but it takes a considerable amount of neglect and abuse to scratch it.

But, as others have said. Sometimes peace of mind is worth the extra money.

Last edited:

Lucky_Charms

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Scratching the glass may not be the issue, although I don't want to test out how resistant it is. For me the issue is sun glare and fingerprints. I use my iPad as a gps nav for my car and with the sun shining at just the right angle, it becomes un-usable. Also finger prints drive me nuts. The oleophobic coating doesn't do anything for me it seems. Using the "power supply" anti-glare screen protector takes care of these issues for me.

Just my 2 cents though.

Djdan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hate screen protectors and the otterbox case. It makes it bulky. The iPad is meant to be held without a case. Just take care of it, but a back shell piece and a smart cover....

Totally agree.

Sent from my IPad (3rd Gen)

L

Lunar

I'm using one at present, which does not degrade the screen too much, and I also managed the miracle of fitting it without any bubbles, just lately its been doing a lot of travelling so having one fitted gives me a little peace of mind.

As already seen in the postings everyone has different views regarding screen protectors, I likely would'nt have bothered at all, as my iPad 1 never got scratched at all over 18ths, but you never know.
The fact is they do get scratched as a member here discovered.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/74176-scratches-already.html

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought a screen protector in the first early days of ownership.
I have the original IPad 1
It lasted about two weeks.
Ripped it off and now have been nude ever since.
No regrets ,no scratches
Invest in a top micro cloth and cut in half
Keep a section by your bed ,and on a coffee table where you use it most.
Thats it.
My iPad and I have travelled the world......
I slip a small cloth in behind my cover while traveling

Abula

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just installed the Zagg HD Ipad3 invisible shield and to me its really good, the orange peel from the original is barely visible, its much smoother to to touch and its very clear, i was worried it might degrade the beautiful retina display, but personally i don't see much difference, well worth the protection of kids are going to use it. A little easier to apply as its thicker than the original zagg, but a little harder to get all air bubbles out, but its a really nice screen protector.

Ronaldo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's how I see this.
The iPad costs some serious cash. A lot of us just do not have a lot of disposable income to afford one of these devices. When we finally scrimp and save enough to by a device, we cherish it greatly and want to care for our investments. Some could care less about a scratch. It's just not important. Others, like myself cradle it like a newborn and are OCD about caring for it.
So on my new iPad, I felt like protecting it (for while at least) during my first few days, weeks and most likely months to come. I know in a few weeks I won't be so careful with it and I might be tempted to yank my Zagg clear protector off cause I know the clarity of screen will be upgraded a tad.
If your concerned put one on. At least for a little while until the novelty wears off.

Jduckip3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jbcn said:
I have had a first gen IPAD for two years and have tried both non glare and fully transparent glossy covers.....I ended up throwing both away and keep my IPAD in a soft zipper cover containing two sponge-like sandwich inserts. It is brighter and clearest at low levels of brightness such as reading in bed....and is fine in the car as a GPS. Purchasing the IPAD 3 tomorrow and will not put a cover over the glass.

I have had the IVisor AG on my new IPad since day one. Well, today I took it off. It is like a completely different screen. So much nicer, cleaner and bold. Didn't think I would do it, but I don't see me going back to the protector.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Suggesting that because one doesn't use a screen protector is because one doesn't care for taking care of their iPad because they have a lot of money is nonsense. I had my iPad 2 an entire year an the screen never got a scratch. Why? Because I took care not to scratch it. I sold that puppy for $415 to amazon, too.

staceyruss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Impersonal think that a screen protecter is the way to go definitely if you have children that like to play games...When I didn't have one on even taking care of it, I found that I got scratches no madder how well I took care of it. The little drag is worth it compared to scratches.

Most reactions

Latest posts