What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen protector or no?

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think it is required. I have never used one and I have never had issues.

Krooked

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought about getting one too, since I never owned an IPad before, but one of my friends still has an IPad 1 that he uses all the time, without a screen protector and it still looks new.
His advice, just put it in a decent folio or case and wipe it down with a microfiber cloth every now and then.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Always had a Zagg on ipad1. Removed it when I rehomed it. Installed a Zagg on new iPad. I noticed additional drag when using a stylus and just was not happy obstructing the retina display.

They say the covers are clear and they are but you still lose that extra punch the retina display provides. I removed the protector and am glad I did.

I have a rotating Targus case so the screen is protected when idle and I use nice'n'clean towelettes for daily cleaning. I'm glad I decided to have unprotected text....it's great!

GnomeGrrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's a no from me. I dislike the way they feel and think it'd likely detract from the retina display. I have had no issues with scratches and sold my old iPad as new. So long as you take the proper care and use a good cover, you'll be fine, IMO.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think all protection should be decided by how and where it is used. In a house with many small children and/or pets a screen protector might be necessary. Or if you have a job were excessive travel is required you might need more protection.

drathbun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Midranger4 said:
Always had a Zagg on ipad1. Removed it when I rehomed it. Installed a Zagg on new iPad. I noticed additional drag when using a stylus and just was not happy obstructing the retina display.

They say the covers are clear and they are but you still lose that extra punch the retina display provides. I removed the protector and am glad I did.

I have a rotating Targus case so the screen is protected when idle and I use nice'n'clean towelettes for daily cleaning. I'm glad I decided to have unprotected text....it's great!

+1 ☝

Sent from my iPad3 using iPF

kralle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i recommend you to use a screenprotector ...

less scratch mean you can ask more money later if you sell it :)

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What do you guys think can cause a scratch to the iPad screen that is without a screen protector? And why would a thin sheet of cellophane prevent it?

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have all three versions of iPads here and none have had screen covers.

Scratching won't be a bother unless you are in a gritty environment.
Just wipe the screen occasionally if it annoys you.....ie toast crumbs and jam.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zphone said:
What do you guys think can cause a scratch to the iPad screen that is without a screen protector? And why would a thin sheet of cellophane prevent it?

This is what I wonder too. Keep it covered when not in use and don't touch the screen with anything but a finger or stylus, if you use it as a plate and cut steak or try to teach your cat how to play Angry Birds it is going to get scratched protector or no.

Most reactions