What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen leaking right on bottom (on the screen, where home button is)

Cadena96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you hold it in landscape with the home button at the right, the lightness should come from the bottom, as if it's shooting up...I was wondering if anyone had this? I keep seeing videos of this, and wanted to know if this is something that is common?

Edit : Screen has to be dark or black, best idea is cover your camera and take a pic, and view full screen, no apple controls, that way...best possibility you might see it, or black screen on beginning of a movie...

Last edited:

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tell more about the model you have.

I have a 64gb Wifi only model, white.... no light leakage

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 16GB Wi-Fi only in black. There is some light leakage near the top right of the screen (portrait mode) near the volume controls. It's only noticeable on a black screen and even then not that much.

I'm happy about this, I swapped out my iPad 1 twice for similar little defects.

OP
C

Cadena96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mine is still on order, it's a common issue, I wanted to see how many have...model doesn't matter, and you can only see this on black images...

experts who have reviewed this already say if you aren't particular you probably won't see it...

OP
C

Cadena96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 16GB Wi-Fi only in black. There is some light leakage near the top right of the screen (portrait mode) near the volume controls. It's only noticeable on a black screen and even then not that much.

I'm happy about this, I swapped out my iPad 1 twice for similar little defects.

yeah I bougbt one in february, an ipad 1, and it was nice...I sent it back though b/c of ipad 2 being announced...I have since purchased an ipad 2...if nothing else I'll keep it and buy a ipad 3 when it comes out...

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mine is still on order, it's a common issue, I wanted to see how many have...model doesn't matter, and you can only see this on black images...

experts who have reviewed this already say if you aren't particular you probably won't see it...

I'm very particular as I use my iPad as a photo portfolio. I see no leakage at all on a totally black frame viewed in the dark. Those who have the problem should exchange, though I doubt it would ever show on "real" images.

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a White 32gb wifi and noticed some light leak in the upper left corner in portrait when loading a game. Then put a black background and noticed a little more light leak on the bottom left. I'm going to call Apple tomorrow morning to see what they say.

techinqx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too am experiencing the same issue. I have approximately 9 spots. I'm usually not that picky but I dont know what my options are in terms of exchange. I purchased the ipad 2 at target. Will Apple take over from here? or will Target be in charge of the replacement?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There have been a few reportings of this problem, but not many. Probably has to do with some initial quality control issues of any new tech device. Return it for a replacement.

OP
C

Cadena96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too am experiencing the same issue. I have approximately 9 spots. I'm usually not that picky but I dont know what my options are in terms of exchange. I purchased the ipad 2 at target. Will Apple take over from here? or will Target be in charge of the replacement?

Target...I'd return it, and go buy it at apple...it's ALWAYS the store until the warranty kicks in...when it's manufacturer warranty, it's the store, when it's extended warranty it becomes apple...

Target isn't bad, but apple would be ignorant to not stand by their product, especially a multi billion dollar a year revenue source

Doesn't sound like it's too much of an issue with too many people, but I'm extremely particular, I mean I'm spending 830$ on this, the money isn't the issue, I just want it to be right, as promised, from day one..

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was browsing around the Apple Support forums and saw quite a few threads and some long ones about this issue on there. Some people on there returned theirs and got one that was worse than their original one. And also some people saying it could have been a glue drying issue and that the leaks are going away. So I am going to hold off on calling Apple about mine for now and see if it improves and to see if the ones being shipped are better. I also bought mine at Target and they have a 90 day store guarantee, so there is plenty of time to wait and exchange it.

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There have been a few reportings of this problem, but not many. Probably has to do with some initial quality control issues of any new tech device. Return it for a replacement.

Backlight bleeding - MacRumors Forums

Actually it seems most models have it. The thing is on most it's not visible in normal usage (which to me makes it a non-issue). But apparently every one (including mine as I've tested) have some light bleeding if you say display a black screen (like Blackle - Energy Saving Search) and turn off all the lights.

I couldn't care less about that. But some have posted pictures of it being clearly visible when watching a letterboxed video with lights on. That's a problem and should be exchanged.

But if you can only see it when going out of your way to see it, then that's not an issue to anyone but the OCD tech geeks who want a flawless device.

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dmaul1114 said:
Backlight bleeding - MacRumors Forums

Actually it seems most models have it. The thing is on most it's not visible in normal usage (which to me makes it a non-issue). But apparently every one (including mine as I've tested) have some light bleeding if you say display a black screen (like Blackle - Energy Saving Search) and turn off all the lights.

I couldn't care less about that. But some have posted pictures of it being clearly visible when watching a letterboxed video with lights on. That's a problem and should be exchanged.

But if you can only see it when going out of your way to see it, then that's not an issue to anyone but the OCD tech geeks who want a flawless device.

With so many having it I wonder what steps Apple will take to remedy it?

We had "antennagate", never was a problem for me. But now we have "lightbleedgate".

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Target...I'd return it, and go buy it at apple...it's ALWAYS the store until the warranty kicks in...when it's manufacturer warranty, it's the store, when it's extended warranty it becomes apple...

Target isn't bad, but apple would be ignorant to not stand by their product, especially a multi billion dollar a year revenue source

Doesn't sound like it's too much of an issue with too many people, but I'm extremely particular, I mean I'm spending 830$ on this, the money isn't the issue, I just want it to be right, as promised, from day one..

No, apple handles everything. Don't go to target. Don't waste your time. In my experience, you will have better luck and results replacing at the apple store.

I have very minor light bleed, not near enough to justify a replacement. It's too much effort for not large enough a problem

That said, my first iPad 2 was a disaster. Not only light bleed, but a terrible yellow bleed they talked about. THAT was not kosher and I took it back and got very lucky.

Right now I'm happy. My iPad works and it isn't seriousy disturbing.

But you pay a premium for a device and if it does bother you, if you are OCD enough, you deserve to have a perfect device. If it was a Porsche, and you had a nasty paint blotch, wouldn't you take it back for it to be fixed?

Kayno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 64 GB white wifi only .. Check out my light leakage

Attachments

• image-659571155.jpg
    image-659571155.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 314

Most reactions