What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 Light Leak Problem

PhilSynowiec

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDA_GinNmbw[/ame]​

Right after the release of the iPad 2 users have bee noticing a slight light-leak coming from the backlight on their devices. While this leak is somewhat difficult to see while doing regular tasks, that black screen you sometimes get gives you a reminder of your problems. You can check to see if you have a light-leak by downloading a black image on your iPad, or by simply covering the iPad 2's camera and snapping a photo. Then go into your Photos app, open up the darkness, and start tilting your display around. Unfortunately, for now, there is nothing we can do, if it gets worse, or really bother you, you can try heading in to the Apple Store or wherever you purchased your iPad 2.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would take it back and exchange as soon as there is replacement stock available. The display on that iPad is defective. I did the black frame test on my IPad 2, looked at from every angle in the dark, and it had no backlight issues. In fact, I'm amazed that there isn't any bleeding considering that the new model is considerably thinner.

This isn't normal. If it was mine would have the problem too. Make Apple replace it.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have this on my iPad 1. Had to turn the brightness up 100% and look for it. Never notice it in normal operation. If it is similar with the iPad 2 then I won't be concerned.

living2345

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmm seems that people are maybe being OC and just trying to find a problem. That didn't look that bad to me and every device is going to have issues like these. I have a tendency to be OC on my devices but it will just drive you crazy if you let it. I can find something wrong with every single electronic device I have ever owned if I look hard enough. I'm also reading that this problem has something to do with the glue not drying all the way and will go away once it does dry.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So if I have this "problem" I need to load a completely black image to see it? Maybe I just won't do that. If I want to see my iPad's screen black I will simply turn it off. :)

Michael

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
the issue becomes very apparent watching movies on Netflix or, well, elsewhere.

Yes, some of it is OCD, but so is having a pixel bother you. Doesn't mean that we who have that can just shrug it off. Nor should we. I spent $700 on a "large iPod touch" ;) and it better be as perfect as it can get.

I replaced my first one same day, which was fine as they do have extra stock for these situations, because the bleed wasn't just bad, it was TERRIBLE. Ugly yellow bleeding and a terrible red pixel right in the middle of the screen.

The next one has light bleed, but so does my original iPad that was a replacement. That one I don't worry about as it's now my wife/kids' iPad and they don't care. And because it was just white, it wasn't a concern.

But the new issue from the iPad 2, which happened on the iPhone 4 when it was released, was more than just "shrug it off" and, no, you didn't need to turn your brightness up to max and look at a black screen to see it, all it required was watching a video.

Trust me, the light bleed still bugs me a bit when watching a movie, but I can live with it. These things just happen on backlit LCD devices. I don't want to be the guy who goes through multiple iPads just to try and fine one that doesn't have the slight light bleed issue that is prevalent on almost all iPads.

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed this on my iPad2 last night while reading an ebook with black background and white text.

It was fairly distracting but I don't know that I want to run back to the Apple store just yet.

I'll let this bake for a week or so and see what happens.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have none of that. <shrug>

But again, I'm not out looking for it either. :)

Michael

ipadwner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your problem is not as bad as mine have....i can clearly see it while watching netflix movies....and i do this a lot.....it even burn a flash burn in my eyes after watching a full movie.....I am going to replace it in apple store asap

Most reactions