What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Same apps appearing on ipad and iPhone even when not synced.

gsouth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the right area to make this post,...but...here goes....

I seldom connect my iphone5 or my ipad3 to my Windows PC with iTunes. Today I downloaded two apps on my ipad3. After a while, I noticed those same two apps appeared on my iphone5. I did not connect theses two devices to iTunes. Does anyone know why this happening?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Go to Settings > iTunes & Stores on each device and make sure you have Apps turned off under Automatic Downloads. Turn off Books and Music as well, as desired.

If you go to Preferences > Store in iTunes on the computer you will find the same settings for automatic downloads there.

The settings control whether that device will receive the downloads; not whether purchases on that device will be downloaded elsewhere.

OP
G

gsouth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I thought that automatic download feature was for updating current apps, not installing new apps. Am I wrong? If I turn off that feature as you suggested, does that mean my current apps won't get new updates when they're available? Ilike to have my existing apps updated, but I do not want to have new apps installed.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gsouth said:
Thanks for the advice. I thought that automatic download feature was for updating current apps, not installing new apps. Am I wrong? If I turn off that feature as you suggested, does that mean my current apps won't get new updates when they're available? Ilike to have my existing apps updated, but I do not want to have new apps installed.

The automatic download has nothing to do with updating apps. All it will do is download an app to your iPad if you add the same app to another iDevice (as long as it's compatible). So you can safely turn the function off.

The Archangel

OP
G

gsouth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. Do I turn this feature off in each of the devices, meaning the iPad and the iPhone? Or do I turn it off in iTunes? Or all three places? And can you tell me how to do Disable the feature. thank you.

OP
G

gsouth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whoops. Sorry. I just saw twerppoet had given me the method of disabling the function.

Most reactions