What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari trouble with iOS 5.0.1

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, I've been having trouble ever since I've updated to 5.0.1 with getting PDF files. Through safari, I get PDF files by way of "open in" into Goodreader. (or any other "open in" compatible app) Ever since 5.0.1 I cannot. I cannot even do it through dropbox work around, the file is not recognizable. The catch is with my kids iPad on 4.3.5 I can. The PDF I'm trying to get is exactly the same on both iPads. Any ideas or is this a 5.0.1 bug/ discrepancy?

Thanks.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Husq250 said:
Hi, I've been having trouble ever since I've updated to 5.0.1 with getting PDF files. Through safari, I get PDF files by way of "open in" into Goodreader. (or any other "open in" compatible app) Ever since 5.0.1 I cannot. I cannot even do it through dropbox work around, the file is not recognizable. The catch is with my kids iPad on 4.3.5 I can. The PDF I'm trying to get is exactly the same on both iPads. Any ideas or is this a 5.0.1 bug/ discrepancy?

Thanks.

I don't know why this is happening but I would firstly close all your apps and then reset your iPad.
From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar along the bottom. It will show all the apps that you have opened at one time or another. Long press the app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, close all these apps.

Hold the power off button, top right button, and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start. This is a reset.

Let us know how you go.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
Husq250

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah I've tried all the resetting other than a complete restore. It's an iOS 5 thing not a iPad thing. Wish I knew why. I need it for down loading important business docs. If I could only have gestures, calander and reminders syncing with 4.3.5........

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It could be a ram issue here, ipad1 have had trouble with this since the upgrade. Have a look at how many location services your running also Safari and websites you use can take up a lot of ram. Go into Settings - Safari and clear out your history and cookies then the advanced tab and look at website data, safari saves bits from every website you have been to, adds up to quite a lot, empty this out too. See if that makes a difference.

OP
Husq250

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have no location services on, always clear apps with the multitask bar and use private mode with safari. Thank you for the suggestions though.

With a PDF file, I tap the screen to get "open in" to show, tap it, my list of "open in" compatible apps shows, I select one(tried all of them), Goodreader for example and it simply won't open in any of them. Just stays on the PDF screen.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gees, sorry but I am stumped here, hopefully someone else will chime in with some other steps for you to take.

OP
Husq250

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well since my last post here I've upgraded to an iPad 2 and IOS 6.1. It wasn't until the 6.1 that this started working. Somehow it must have been a safari security thing.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Husq250 said:
Well since my last post here I've upgraded to an iPad 2 and IOS 6.1. It wasn't until the 6.1 that this started working. Somehow it must have been a safari security thing.

Thank you for coming back and posting this info....so glad it's working for you again!

Most reactions