What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad2 iOS 5.0.1 - problem with .pdf files (math formulas)

pion3k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello!

I've got an annoying problem. When I open .pdf files (by Safari, iBooks or another PDF reader) I don't see (in some math formulas) some signs - for example: omega or delta. It is a problem, because I'm a student. When I try to open the same PDF on my PC - it works perfectly. I've read that I need to convert my PDF files (JPG2000 or something like that) - but I don't want! How can I do this if I'm on the University and I have to find some information in new PDF from Internet?

Please, help me :)

thx

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Your PDF(s) probably uses a font not available on the iPad. When that happens the iPad will chose what it thinks is the closest match; but it probably doesn't have the special symbols, so they go missing.

Since pretty much every PDF reader app on the iPad is going to depend on the built in fonts, I don't see a way around this other than converting the PDF to a picture, as you've read. You can then convert the picture back to a PDF so that it will work with the various annotation apps on the iPad.

It is possible I"m wrong and some PDF reader will work with it. If you want to post an example I'd be happy to test it with my various apps, and perhaps a few other members would do so as well. (You'll need two more posts before you can do attachments or post links).

That is all I can think of, at least for now.

Most reactions

Latest posts