What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari Crash Issue

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Restoring from backup is indeed a restore, and is always your first choice, however it is possible to end up restoring the problem along with everything else.

If the restore form backup did not help, your next step is a clean restore: restore it but do not use a backup. This is a pain because you're going to have to reinstall all you're apps and data individually. And, inevitably something will be loss. If you are careful and lucky this will probably be nothing more than your place in a game or two.

I recommend you do the restore from iTunes on a computer, since this 'should' be more complete than restoring from Settings > General > Reset.

Before doing a clean restore you need to review your apps and all their content. If it is possible to copy/backup those files online or to your computer, do so.

Content purchased from Apple is safe, and you will be able to restore it. Content you added to iTunes (Music), iBooks, or other apps by importing it instead of getting it from an iStore will be lost unless you have it saved off the iPad.

Pay extra attention to apps like Photos, to make sure every file/document you care about is saved.

If you have questions about specific apps, ask. If we don't know then ask the developer.

If this does not work, then you're probably going to have to go through Apple for a repair. In most cases it's only a little more expensive to get a new device. You'll have to make that call if/when you find out what Apple will charge.

Good luck.

But how could hardware damage cause my loss of the wallpapers? How can it affect the software and data of my iPad? And if it does, what kind of damages can cause it?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
But how could hardware damage cause my loss of the wallpapers? How can it affect the software and data of my iPad? And if it does, what kind of damages can cause it?

The solid state storage can go bad. Not all of it, just sections. Installing the iOS again may detect and block out the bad storage, making the iPad usable again. Or it may not; depending on exactly what's going with the hardware.

The problem with bad storage is that the results are unpredictable. It could affect something minor and unnoticeable, or it could stop the iPad from working at all. It all depends on what data is/was stored there.

I'm not saying this is what is wrong with your iPad. It's just a possibility. From what I've read, a clean restore of the OS is your next step. You've tried everything else short of a hardware diagnostic and possible repair; which requires Apple or an authorized Apple repair shop.

Though I certainly could be wrong. If you have an Apple Store nearby, a genius appointment costs nothing itself. They won't charge you until they have decided what has to be done and told you what it will cost.

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The solid state storage can go bad. Not all of it, just sections. Installing the iOS again may detect and block out the bad storage, making the iPad usable again. Or it may not; depending on exactly what's going with the hardware.

The problem with bad storage is that the results are unpredictable. It could affect something minor and unnoticeable, or it could stop the iPad from working at all. It all depends on what data is/was stored there.

I'm not saying this is what is wrong with your iPad. It's just a possibility. From what I've read, a clean restore of the OS is your next step. You've tried everything else short of a hardware diagnostic and possible repair; which requires Apple or an authorized Apple repair shop.

Though I certainly could be wrong. If you have an Apple Store nearby, a genius appointment costs nothing itself. They won't charge you until they have decided what has to be done and told you what it will cost.

Hmm. What can cause that kind of damage? Well I would recall that I dropped my iPad lots of times, but that was before I updated to iOS 7.1.2, the damages was so bad that fragments have been stuck between the screen and insides of my iPad, I managed to remove them easily though, could that have caused it? Or is it a problem many iOS users are facing because lots of people from the internet says that they have experienced this too. I think they used iFunbox to do that, but I am still not sure.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hmm. What can cause that kind of damage?

What causes any electronic or mechanical device to break? Whether it's chance, minor manufacturing defects, or Murphy's direct intervention, there isn't much point in agonizing over it. Not as a consumer. It happens. It happens less often with Apple products because Apple cares about quality, and agonizes over it; but there is no electronic device or manufacturer that can guarantee 0% failures.

Or if you prefer the short answer: Stuff happens. Sometimes it happens to us. :)

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Aight, when I restored my iPad I got back the Still Wallpapers, but when I tried to restore from back-up I lost it again, restored it again then I got it back again. Is it possible that the problem is within the back-up itself?

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Aight, when I restored my iPad I got back the Still Wallpapers, but when I tried to restore from back-up I lost it again, restored it again then I got it back again. Is it possible that the problem is within the back-up itself?

If a backup was taken after the wallpapers disappeared, there is a high chance of the problem being with the backup.

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Aight, I have my wallpapers now, I noticed I haven't recieved any crashes from safari. Maybe it was the back-up after all that was causing the problem.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Aight, I have my wallpapers now, I noticed I haven't recieved any crashes from safari. Maybe it was the back-up after all that was causing the problem.

From your posts, that seems likely. A backup includes a lot of things, including settings. If something is seriously wrong in those settings (and not fixable with the Reset All Settings option), then the only choice is to do a clean restore, as you did.

This is most likely to happen with updates or restoring from a backup, as there is a small chance the settings themselves might become corrupted; and then those settings becoming part of the next backup.

Anyway, I'm glad it is working for you again.

Most reactions

Latest posts