What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari Caught A Virus?

Krisz2002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same happened to me in the UK. I have a pretty good sense for scams like this but I didn't notice this. On my IPhone 5 I was watching a movie online, an add came up and then immediately this messeage came up saying the same messeage you guys got but mine was a bit different. The lay out of the phone number was a bit weird compared to the normal UK ones but I still called it because it was saying that it's free. I immediately asked them if I called a UK or a Number from the states. He had to think about it but then he said that it was a UK one. First I thought it was apple's virus department because he asked for my IMEI code. I told him, he put me on hold then be ce back and said: "I'm sorry but your device has been affected by a third party virus." Then he said that my warranty has run out and it actually has run out that's what got me tricked. He told me to buy one for £40 ($60). I told him that I might call him later. I had an idea to call my local Apple Store because they helped me before without having to pay for the warranty and the person I called seemed to be much more helpful. First I didn't want to tell him that I called that number before so he might give me a little help but then I finally told him and he said that it's a scam and that he'd talk to his supervisor about it. He still said that my warranty has run it but he was more helpful and I was suspecting something when I called the Apple Store and they asked for all kind of security questions and the number I called didn't. He told me that it might help if I reset my phone and it did.
Always be careful with these things.If something like this happens always double check. I'm lucky I didn't fall for it.
Regards to every IOS user.

shenacat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is happening to me but in cydia! And I can't seem to reset cydia to make it go away! Airport mode doesn't work either, how do I clear cydia cache?

sophiemichaels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
THANK you all so much. I actually registered for this forum just to say that - my story was just like Gimps, and I was SO CLOSE to falling for it. I've never had a problem with my zillion Apple devices, so my guard was completely down. Only thing that really set off the bells and buzzers was when the Indian dude said it wouldn't be billed through Itunes. And when I started to express my discomfort with the situation he started to laugh in this meant-to-be "Oh, honey - you're just so paranoid" way... THANK YOU!

Richmgib

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So this has happened to my girlfriend a couple of times and she was tired of losing her data and cookies. So I have a method that seems to work without deleting the data. I don't know if this means it will come back more frequently, but so far, so good. (So far being a solid 2 hours of online browsing for reclaimed nick-knacks from the far flung corners of our wonderful world.)

1. double click home button and close all running applications (maybe just need to close safari, don't know)
2. click on safari app (is click the right terminology?)
3. (the tricky part) click on the x on the address bar before the malicious tab opens again (you have to be fast, have one finger ready to press the x as you open safari with the other hand/finger {i don't know how big your hands are}).
4. repeat steps 1-3 until you get it to work, took me about ten tries
5. open a new web page in naughty tab
6. open a new tab
7. close Mr.-bad-guy-we-just-thwarted's tab

This might work by clicking on other open tabs, the back button, etc.., but the x in the address bar definitely works. Basically you have to interupt the malicious website before it can load, but it happens really quickly.

Good luck!

P.S. Should I post the website I think is causing the problem (most likely not intentionally)? I am no expert, so i have no certainty and don't want to cause problems for what may be a genuine business that got hacked or hijacked or whatever happens to good guys when the internet get a hold of them, but maybe someone can look into it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Interesting.

If all you need is time to close the tab before the website loads again, you could go to settings and turn on AirPlane mode (or turn off Wi-Fi if it's a wi-fi only iPad). That should give you all the time in the world to close the tab.

Richmgib

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice, while my method is more entertaining and beneficial to your reaction times, but your seems infinitely easier!

I'll give that a shot next time it happens (cause, let's face, she's not staying off that website for long!)

ja408

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm noticing this is starting to happen a lot. So I'm revisiting this issue. The problem can be solved very easily.
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DELETE THE HISTORY OR CACHE

This little annoying script is Javascript and can be disabled so you can close it.

1. Close Safari by double tapping the "Home" button and swipe up on the Safari application or click the "X" depending on the version iOS you have.

2. Go to Settings > Safari > Advanced

3. turn off Javascript

4. open Safari (the annoying popup might show up one more time, just click it off if it does)

5. close the page that has the pop up

6. go back in and enable Javascript so the rest of your legitimate sites work correctly.

DONE!

TheGimp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the same alert on my macbook a few months back. Doing the same exact thing I was trying on my ipad mini, attempting to download a t.v. show. (see previous page for my post on the ipad mini) I could not figure out how to get it off the macbook. So I turned it off feeling beaten (a voice kept repeating I had a virus but I knew from the mini it was bunk) I eventually went back to try again and it was gone. I don't know why but turning it off or cutting the life from the net killed the bogus alert.

p.s. congrats to sophiemichaels for escaping the con and thanks to everyone who shared thier story. I believe anyone who takes the time to share helps anyone who takes the time to search for an answer.:D

Tpres

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This happened to me last night, an error message I could not get rid of. I was making plans for a 2hr drive to see an Apple expert when my wife suggested I do a search on my desktop machine, I found this forum, tried the fix of erasing the cookies and whatever in Safari and - voila - end of problem! Couldn't believe the feeling of gratitude that swept over me...
Thanks!

Most reactions

Latest posts