What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

target of scam

Reaction score
The following scam info popped up on my ipad 2: "Warning!! iOS Crash Report. Due to a third party application in your phone, iOS is crashed. Contact support for Immediate Fix: 1-855-509-5719."

I searched and found others saying it's a scam. I can't close the window. I held the Home key + Power to force a shut down and brought up the Apple symbol. When I got back online, the "Warning!!" was still there. How can I get rid of it. Thanks.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The following scam info popped up on my ipad 2: "Warning!! iOS Crash Report. Due to a third party application in your phone, iOS is crashed. Contact support for Immediate Fix: 1-855-509-5719."

I searched and found others saying it's a scam. I can't close the window. I held the Home key + Power to force a shut down and brought up the Apple symbol. When I got back online, the "Warning!!" was still there. How can I get rid of it. Thanks.

First, DO NOT call the number unless you have a credit card in hand - ;) Second, I'm assuming that this 'popped up' while browsing the web? If so, go into Settings and disconnect from your wireless sources (i.e. Wi-Fi & cellular); then, enter your browser's settings and 'clear history and data'; reconnect to your network and open the browser to determine if the problem is resolved. If this is not the issue, then please post back w/ a clearer explanation of how the message appeared. Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
First, DO NOT call the number unless you have a credit card in hand - ;) Second, I'm assuming that this 'popped up' while browsing the web? If so, go into Settings and disconnect from your wireless sources (i.e. Wi-Fi & cellular); then, enter your browser's settings and 'clear history and data'; reconnect to your network and open the browser to determine if the problem is resolved. If this is not the issue, then please post back w/ a clearer explanation of how the message appeared. Dave :)
I've received the same scam pop up. I use airplane mode to disconnect before clearing everything as in your post. One sure sign of a scam is the fact that if iOS had crashed, you certainly wouldn't get a pop up as the iPad would have crashed to the home screen or gone into a restart.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Problem solved! Thanks.

Great! Good point made by Scifan.., i.e. use airplane mode to turn off all wireless connections in one step!

A simpler alternate that I did not mention because the maneuver does no always work is to go into the 'multitask screen' (fast double-click on the HOME button), and 'Force Close' the browser page in question; return to the browser and see what happened - but don't promise success consistently. Dave :)

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score

What happened is that a maliciously crafted advertisement is using JavaScript to display a browser message hoping the user will fall for the scam. Others have touched on how to resolve the issue and this type of message is best left ignored.

I typically go back to the website and complain to the webmaster that a malicious ad is being seen in the ads rotation feature of the site. Most sites will go in and remove that particular ad from the rotation.

Kudos to @scifan57 in pointing out that you wouldn't have seen the message at all if iOS had truly crashed.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What happened is that a maliciously crafted advertisement is using JavaScript to display a browser message hoping the user will fall for the scam. Others have touched on how to resolve the issue and this type of message is best left ignored.

I typically go back to the website and complain to the webmaster that a malicious ad is being seen in the ads rotation feature of the site. Most sites will go in and remove that particular ad from the rotation.

Hi & thanks for your response - but just curious in what I put in bold above - does such a complaint help and have you ever gotten any 'feed back'? Just curious because I've thought of doing the same but never felt that it would do any good? Dave :)

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi & thanks for your response - but just curious in what I put in bold above - does such a complaint help and have you ever gotten any 'feed back'? Just curious because I've thought of doing the same but never felt that it would do any good? Dave :)
I do this whenever I see a malicious ad, sometimes I do get a "thank you" or they ask for further info, but that is rare. I just do what I can to help in any way. If they want to resolve the problem then all is well and fine. If they don't, well.. at least I did what I thought was right. You never know, they may take the info you provide and fix the problem without ever letting you know.

I will say that Forum Foundry, the owners of this forum, do work with users who submit reports of problems. I've worked with them twice in the last few weeks to resolve minor issues. Other forums could benefit from FF's example.

Most reactions

Latest posts