What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari cannot open the page because it could not connect to the server.

rovingus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SEE UPDATE AT BOTTOM OF THIS POST FIRST. It might give the solution.

This title pretty much describes the problem. After years of accessing this site on my PC, iPads and iPhones, using the shortcuts on my Favorites bar every day, last Friday I got the above message on both iPadPro and iPhone 11, but not on my PC that accessed and connected to the site with no problem. And this continues to occur. My wi-fi works perfectly as does my internet connection. I have made no changes in any settings. Cookies are still allowed and all is as it was before the connect failure last Friday. There is obviously no change in the server as the PC is quite content with it. It would seem that an Apple defect of some kind surfaced to bite me iOS is13.5.1. Recently updated but can't recall what day but might have been last week. Just my luck these days. Any help out there? It will be appreciated.

THIS ADDED AFTER POSTING THE ABOVE.

I just remembered my old iPad 3 and I dug it out. Of course it is stuck at iOS 9.3.5. I keep it charged and ready to use. I clicked the shortcut to the site in my Favorites and the site opened immediately. If the iOS update caused the problem should I just be patient for a fix or should I report it or what should I do? Thanks.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . . I just remembered my old iPad 3 and I dug it out. Of course it is stuck at iOS 9.3.5. I keep it charged and ready to use. I clicked the shortcut to the site in my Favorites and the site opened immediately. If the iOS update caused the problem should I just be patient for a fix or should I report it or what should I do? Thanks.

Did not read the above before posting my last. The recent update of iOS made it so iPads use the full version of a site by default, just like a PC. Prior to the update the iPad used the mobile site, just like the iPhone still does. That also explains why your older iPad on an older version of iOS still works. It also uses the mobile site.

Edit: Seems I ended up in a different thread. The above still applies.

OP
R

rovingus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did not read the above before posting my last. The recent update of iOS made it so iPads use the full version of a site by default, just like a PC. Prior to the update the iPad used the mobile site, just like the iPhone still does. That also explains why your older iPad on an older version of iOS still works. It also uses the mobile site.

Edit: Seems I ended up in a different thread. The above still applies.

Thanks for the new information. I have given up on my "Access denied" post as the problem and its solution falls on Kroger and their tech. All I have gotten is many hours on the phone and promises of IT follow up and phone calls and no results.

The following pertains to "Safari cannot connect to server" that first occurred within the past two weeks, after years of no problems with connecting to this site. First I checked the url in my Favorites to be certain that it is unchanged and that it is the same on my iphone 11, my iPad Pro, my iPad 3, and my laptop PC. The links are identical: "Power Line". That complete URL appears in the address bar of my Win 10 PC using Edge. On the iPad 3 it has only "powerlineblog.com", with both of those preceded by the closed lock symbol, and both function properly.. On the phone and iPad Pro all that appears in the address bar is "powserlineblog.com", and no lock symbol. On the Pro and the Phone and the iPad 3 the "aA" symbol does not appear so that I can't toggle from desktop to mobile as you had suggested. Is this info of any help? Thanks!
]

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. Sorry you haven’t found a solution.

The aA method of switching to the mobile version of the site is iOS/iPadOS 13 and newer. Older versions use the mobile site be default. They can be switched to the Desktop version. If I remember right, that was done with a long press of the reload (circle arrow) icon in the URL bar. Might be somewhere else.

Most reactions