What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

??'s about Excel SpreadSheet & Ipad.

Dagwood_55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Newbie here with new Ipad. Probably a newbie question.

I have a spreadsheed in Excel on my desktop that I want to bring over to my Ipad and use. If I get the Numbers (or other) App, can someone explain the sequence that it takes to do this, beginning to end, start to finish.

Thanks,

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Dagwood

When you say "use" the spreadsheet, do you mean

a) just look at it

b) add numbers or text into cells

c) do something more complicated than (b)

If (a) or (b), you could use GoodReader or any one of the three commonest iPad spreadheets: Pages, Documents To Go or Office2.

If (c), be prepared for disappointment.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Newbie here with new Ipad. Probably a newbie question.

I have a spreadsheed in Excel on my desktop that I want to bring over to my Ipad and use. If I get the Numbers (or other) App, can someone explain the sequence that it takes to do this, beginning to end, start to finish.

Thanks,

If you use Numbers then you can email the .xls or .xlsx spreadsheet to yourself. When you receive the email on your iPad, select and hold the extension icon and it will offer you the option 'Open in Numbers'. Select, and Numbers automatically opens up and your spreadsheet is displayed, where you can edit it and export it in .xls format. If you have the Apple MobileMe service, then you can select that as an export route, else you have the option to email the spreadsheet to yourself.

Numbers is pretty good, but very complex spreadsheets can defeat it!!

Tim

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey there.

Another option; sign up for a free dropbox account on your PC and install the free dropbox app on your iPad. Put a copy of your Excel document in the dropbox folder on your PC. Open the dropbox app on iPad and select the document, then tap on the icon at top right - the little box with an arrow pointing out of it; this brings an 'Open In...' dialogue that will list all the apps you have installed that can open this type of document - choose Numbers if you have it installed and it should open right up.

5363817359_6f13b622be.jpg

Agree with the others though - Numbers is great, but it's not Excel...

HTH Pete.

mutts2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using Google docs...seems to work just fine.

Cheers

Most reactions

Latest posts