What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Word - Excel - PowerPoint

Dawsonh65

iPF Noob
Reaction score
is there a separate application to sync my word and excel documents from computer to the ipad????

namsilat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
using Excel files on iPad 2

I too have been an exclusive Windows user, but am now very interested in getting an iPad 2. I have bunch of Excel files with multi-sheets of charts and computations programmed with VBA codes, and I am concerned that I wouldn't be able to use/view them on iPad 2. Anybody with any experiences on this?

extendedforecast

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can open different sheets in a workbook but thats about it. I think Docs 2 Go is a pretty robust app but doesnt get close to running like real excel. You will need to save the workbooks in macro/vba free form (so .xlsx) to open them on any of the office apps (even the desktop Mac excel program has abandoned VBA support so i doubt it will ever be moved to the iPad native office suite.) So you will see the printed results of running the code after its done on a Win 7 computer...but you will not be able to edit or work in the VBA environment at all. The tablet apps only support a small set of excel forumulas. If a formla isnt supported only the output of the formula is shown. Further: If your sheet uses formulas that are unsupported (which is all but the basic ones) the sheet opens as read only on Docs 2 go. It may not open at all on other apps...I haven't used them all honestly :-(

Certain formatting don't translate to certain office apps either...like if you are working in ranges your hidden columns/rows come back and those data ponts end up in sums/subtotals etc. Further I cant get any of the big sheets (like over 7500-10000 rows) to even open on iPad. Even on Motorola Xoom, they take a good 3-5 minutes to render and sometimes crash as well if they involve heavy formatting.

Honestly,these functions are probably a bridge too far for tablet excel apps as they are very cpu heavy even on a dual core laptop. That being said, I've had awesome success with working on excel in my remote desktop environment and saving to dropbox and google docs (along with my hard drive at home.) Opening a read only version of a model can sometimes be better than nothing if you are on the fly. Its nice to put calculations physically in someones hand even of they cant see the code the created the final numbers. And with remote desktop you can work with excel remotely on your computer if you are stuck in an airport or something!

While I am massive excel junkie myself and know how dissapointing it is that office apps are limited on tablets...this shouldn't be a reason to hold you back if you have other uses in mind for your tablet. iPad 2 is a nice device that can do a lot and is super convenient...but VBA is prolly not gonna happen.

Sent from my Android 3.1 Motorola Xoom Tablet!

namsilat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tablets

Thank you very much for an extremely informative post. I have long considered getting a tablet, but as you pointed out, lack of capacity to run complex VBA codes in Excel spreadsheets has stuck me in Window based machines. Perhaps one day Apple will come up with something.

Rockbottom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use Pages, Numbers and Keynotes on the road to start preparing my documents and usually complete them on the laptop If any complexity is needed. If, not, then I can do everything on the IPad. Cannot really go back and forth. I use Numbers for entering data in the field and then I transfer to Excel to do the number crunching, pivot tables, etc

Sent from my iPad2 3G 32 gig / using iPF

namsilat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With Office 365, I wonder if it's a solution some of us have been waiting for. I eagerly await someone with hands-on of Office 365 on iPad 2 to give us a review!

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too have been an exclusive Windows user, but am now very interested in getting an iPad 2. I have bunch of Excel files with multi-sheets of charts and computations programmed with VBA codes, and I am concerned that I wouldn't be able to use/view them on iPad 2. Anybody with any experiences on this?

You are pretty much out of luck when it comes to VBA support, or at least that has been my experience. Excel sheets without VBA and complex macro support is next to worthless for me, so my iPad stays out of the office. I am also wondering about Office 365, but I still have a feeling most of the sheets I run would choke the iPad when it comes to computational power.

Last edited:

rachelmt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Word and excel

I wonder if someone can please advise me I am a big word and excel user and am a new user of the iPad I need to see tabs along the bottom and I need to open Microsoft word and excel files can someone please advise of the best Equilalant to Microsoft to enable me to do this on the move.

Also all the signatures say sent from my iPad are you able to have 2 different signatures from my 2 different accounts?

Thanks for your help in advance

chadden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are strong rumours that Microsoft will release an iOS app to emulate "Office Applications" when Apple releases iOS6 in quarter 4 this year. Meanwhile Google has bought QuickOffice who publish a very credible Office emulation App which is unique in that it can open .xlsx spreadsheets with password protection. Very important consideration when using a mobile device.

SKP1001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did not realize there are so many programs which are office based to meet the needs of documentation. This is wonderful to hear from the world of iPad.

I wonder which one gives the user the most benefits? Do any of you have any suggestions? For example, getting the most bang for the buck.

chadden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well my experience only involves the Apple offerings Pages and Sheets which are OK for casual use but I find Quick Office is more comprehensive. Particularly as I use Dropbox and GOODLE docs accounts for accessing my corporate files on the move.

Jury is out until we see what form the rumoured Microsoft Office "official app" takes.

cherapin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Numbers is the way to go. Actually, I don't recommend working on the iPad if you value efficiency. I can't imagine how anyone can work on an excel spreadsheet on a 10 inch screen. I have problem even on my 27"

Most reactions

Latest posts