What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Running Programs in the Background

Status
Not open for further replies.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Slightly disagree with the 'both are memory' -portion. Hard drives on computers are seldom treated as 'memory' (excluding the temp-portion). The 16-32-64 GBs should be treated as 'strorage capacity' to avoid misunderstandings.

But there's nothing you or I can do about it, is there? :eek:

Does matter, they both are memory. When you turn your computer on your data is there because it is stored on memory. The routines that tell your computer, your phone, and the iPad how to start up are stored in ROM, which means read-only memory (though even these can usually be changed using special procedures and electronics, and such). When we refer to the 1GB of RAM the iPad has, we mean random-access memory, which is volatile. When you burn music to a CDRW, CD-R, DVD-R, DVD-RW, etc, those are all other forms of memory, and non-volatile. Flash drives, SSD are all forms of memory. Some memory is used for temporary uses (RAM) and other for more permanent uses (storage). All users may not understand the terms (nor do they need to), but the terms exist for a reason and the world isn't going to stop using terms because some people may get confused (all technical areas & industries are just full of jargon). Some stuff is important mainly for marketing, others for engineering. The worlds collide at some point. We muddle through.

OP
C

coolstuffs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To the vast majority of users, yes. That the iPad 3 has 1GB of RAM really doesn't make little difference. It runs the apps that run on the device. Apps load/unload as needed. Developers plan for the availability of that memory, users don't interact with it at all. Some users do care because they just do....some would even decide to buy or not to buy based on that. Also, that 1GB of RAM could give one a general idea of the overall capabilities of the device. The fact that the 2012 iPad has 1GB is not hidden. We learned of it on the day the new iPad was announced.

I’m not sure whether what you have provided is true or not, I can’t find any proof to them.

I don't really get what you are saying. All the 2012 iPads have 1GB of RAM, so that is not a spec that needs to be stated when deciding amongst the different models. The RAM is listed on the spec sheets, but that is mainly for those who are concerned about how the newer model differs from the older ones. Or when comparing it to other tabs. Most users don't care.

It doesn’t matter whether one uses storage size or memory size in specifying the IPAD. I’m not fond of dictating on anyone which one to use.

You can discuss what you like as far as I'm concerned. But you seem to be the one concerned about the terms people use. I was just stating the truth that both the 1GB and the 16,32, and 64GB can be referred to as memory, but the only ones that need to be pay attention to in terms of selecting a model is the storage, not the RAM. Also, regarding your question, since you really have little idea how much RAM any app or game uses, nor can you change the RAM, your point in the OP really isn't much more than curiosity. It's not like on a PC or MAC where you can increase RAM to get the ability to load more apps in RAM. And on the iPad, you can't even increase storage.

Since it is my Thread and interest, should I not be concern about these terms so that I can get the correct response and answer from the responders? You are the only one I find in this thread who made statements using the terms that confuses me and now you are judging me that my opening of this thread is born out of my curiosity? Granting that it is curiosity as what you have alleged, so what?

Last edited:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
All right folks, this is a good discussion about terminology, but we all need to step back a little and take a break.

Would hate to see this discussion end poorly and result in closing the thread because of heated discussions.

Thanks!

OP
C

coolstuffs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All right folks, this is a good discussion about terminology, but we all need to step back a little and take a break.

Would hate to see this discussion end poorly and result in closing the thread because of heated discussions.

Thanks!

Can I make a request that this thread be closed? I'll just go somewhere else and find what I wanted to know.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts