What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Run Windows 7 and Microsoft Office on your iPad with Citrix Receiver

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

Itbusiness.ca has a story today about something called Citrix Receiver that enables you to take your virtual office with you on your iPad, with one-touch, secure, real-time access to all of your Windows business applications, virtual desktops and documents, wherever you happen to be. For example, with just one tap you can read, create and share documents. I’m particularly impressed with how easy it appears to be to use Word on the iPad going by the video demo that you can view below.

Citrix says that Receiver is fully capable of handling resource-intensive apps on the iPad, such as the 3D medical application shown in the demo, all at the same high speed over any network connection.

As far as security is concerned, Citrix says that your sensitive data is protected by being stored on the corporate network, not on the iPad.
Although the Receiver app is free, you must be a customer of Citrix’s XenApp on-demand application delivery solution in order to use it, so it's not really an app for the casual personal user.

Source: itbusiness.ca, Citrix

OP
M

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=10691582&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=10691582&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/10691582">Citrix Receiver for iPad</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user3526890">Chris Fleck</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
very cool concept I wonder how it will handle things like drag and drop, highlighting text, right-clicking, and such? If they can come out with a "personal" version for the non-corporate customer, or even a way to host the applications from your home desktop, that would be a real winner! I certainly dont want to pay a monthly fee to have this capability.

Temp40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.tabletbuzzblog.com
If they can come out with a "personal" version for the non-corporate customer, or even a way to host the applications from your home desktop, that would be a real winner!

I would imagine something like that will become available soon, likely just a matter of time

Samurai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
very cool concept I wonder how it will handle things like drag and drop, highlighting text, right-clicking, and such? If they can come out with a "personal" version for the non-corporate customer, or even a way to host the applications from your home desktop, that would be a real winner! I certainly dont want to pay a monthly fee to have this capability.

I saw a video of a guy demonstrating it - he showed drag and drop (I think it was double tap, hold down and drag on the second tap) and right click (two finger tap). Video was jittery. This was on Revision 3's App Judgement. It did look like it could be quite useful but expensive at $30. I will wait for more reviews.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I saw a video of a guy demonstrating it - he showed drag and drop (I think it was double tap, hold down and drag on the second tap) and right click (two finger tap). Video was jittery. This was on Revision 3's App Judgement. It did look like it could be quite useful but expensive at $30. I will wait for more reviews.

I would pay $30 to be able to host my own apps from my own desktop. Not for remote desktop, but for actual hosting of individual apps like the enterprise system.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I wouldnt say this is news. These apps have been around for a LONG time on the iPhone and have just been updated for the iPad and ready on the iPad wifi launch day.

I actualy went into a apple store on the ipad launch day and tested out the remote desktop apps and a few other things before deciding to get one since I wanted a 3G iPad anyway.

Most reactions

Latest posts