What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Run Windows 8 on Your iPad

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

CNET has a very handy little feature today showing you how you can connect your iPad to a Windows 8 PC and find out just how well the new interface works on a touchscreen device. Basically all you have to do is download a new app, Win8 Metro Testbed, which has been devised by Splashtop, and which lets you run the current Windows 8 beta on your iPad. The app is aimed at developers and industry professionals, hence the steep $49.99 price tag, but for now it’s available for the slightly more affordable sum of $24.99. You’ll also have to be running the Windows 8 beta on your PC, of course. Assuming that is the case, simply install the Win8 Metro Testbed app on your iPad, then download and install the free Splashto Streamer client software onto your PC that’s running Windows 8, access the provided security code, and away you go – remote control of Windows 8 in all its touchscreen glory on your iPad.

Click here to download the app for an introductory price of $24.99: Win8 Metro Testbed - powered by Splashtop for iPad on the iTunes App Store

Source: Run Windows 8 on your iPad | Internet & Media - CNET News

Last edited by a moderator:

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So has anyone actually tried this app? The price seems kind of steep for me to try it without other recommendations. I just got my Windows 8 installation working with the SplashTop HD app. It was a challenge because I am using VirtualBox, but managed get the SplashTop HD app working.

I like to hear from others who have actually used this app before pulling the trigger...

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did this with the normal splashtop, installed windows 8 beta on a virtual machine and then logged into it, see no point in this app unless your heavily developing

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually I am an MS developer, but not yet with Metro UI apps. In fact I spend a lot of my time making my web sites work on the iPad and other mobile devices.

There is a difference with Metro UI between the touch interface and the desktop interface, that is gestures versus mouse and keyboard. I don't currently have a device to run the Metro UI touch interface. Right now when I play with Windows 8 on my iPad, I am not getting the touch experience, but rather the keyboard mouse experience. The SplashTop HD app (and another RDP app), emulates the keyboard mouse experience. That is why the Metro UI testbed app intrigues me. I am interested in trying the Metro UI touch experience without investing in new hardware.

But I am gun shy at the $25 sticker price...

dawsonm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like the money is worth spending then. Imam interested in your initial impressions of Windows 8 ?

Most reactions

Latest posts