What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Run Windows 8 on Your iPad With New App

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

Electricpig writes about a new app from Splashtop, which supposedly will let you run the full Windows 8 for tablets on the newest iPad. The Win8 Metro Testbed is built for developers as a means of running Windows 8 on an iPad via a virtual desktop, for the purposes of testing the Windows 8 apps that they are developing to see how they run on a tablet, if they don’t have a Windows 8 tablet to hand. However, Electricpig points out that although the app is intended primarily for use by developers, there’s no reason why anyone else who isn’t a developer shouldn’t download it. The app costs £6.99 (see link below) from the App Store, and you’ll also need to download the free desktop streamer to your Windows 8 PC (only available as a free consumer preview at the moment). Set up the app and the streamer, and you’ll be ready to go!

Click here to download: Win8 Metro Testbed - powered by Splashtop for iPad on the iTunes App Store

Source: Run Windows 8 on the new iPad: Tablet hybrid heaven? | Electricpig

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.Mischief

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is this a virtual system that runs on top of iOS, or a remote desktop type app? Either way, that's pretty cool. Kind of like BootCamp for the iPad.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is a Remote Desktop app. There are a number of them in the App Store.

Webalistic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.webalistic.com
I was thinking, wasn't there already an app for this? Then I remembered you mentioned it before. It's become a lot cheaper though (with the current 80% off)
We've been using it to do some win8 prototyping since you first mentioned it. Works well!

jasfin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can it run on a ipad2 and if so can u run it from windows 7 from ur laptop

zunex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a Remote Desktop app. There are a number of them in the App Store.

I was excited at first thinking about some kind of a hacked iPad that could truly run Windows 8 lol.

dstuttgen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Electricpig writes about a new app from Splashtop, which supposedly will let you run the full Windows 8 for tablets on the newest iPad. The Win8 Metro Testbed is built for developers as a means of running Windows 8 on an iPad via a virtual desktop, for the purposes of testing the Windows 8 apps that they are developing to see how they run on a tablet, if they don’t have a Windows 8 tablet to hand. However, Electricpig points out that although the app is intended primarily for use by developers, there’s no reason why anyone else who isn’t a developer shouldn’t download it. The app costs £6.99 (see link below) from the App Store, and you’ll also need to download the free desktop streamer to your Windows 8 PC (only available as a free consumer preview at the moment). Set up the app and the streamer, and you’ll be ready to go!
http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2012/04/13/run-windows-8-on-the-new-ipad-tablet-hybrid-heaven/

This is interesting, Maura. What I don't understand is Do I have to have Win8 on my PC and then SSH to it? I did the Google bit but didn't find or didn't understand. Could you elaborate?

Cheers, Dan

dstuttgen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
and you’ll also need to download the free desktop streamer to your Windows 8 PC (only available as a free consumer preview at the moment).

Well, I guess that was pretty plain. Doh!

Cheers, Dan

Most reactions

Latest posts