What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Returning the iPad

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The volume rocker on my iPad doesn't work when increasing volume only when decreasing it. I'm going to have them ship me a replacement and I'll ship this one bace.

It's a real bummer, I'll probably get a refurb. Anyway has anybody else had to have their iPad replaced and was it new or refurb?

RoadPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll probably get a refurb. Anyway has anybody else had to have their iPad replaced and was it new or refurb?
I wouldn't worry about it. Remember, "refurb" doesn't mean it was beat to hell and then they just wiped it down and sent it back out.

For example, someone could have received an iPad with a volume button that only works when decreasing the sound. They replace the button, ensure everything else is OK, and send it out as a "refurb".

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll probably get a refurb. Anyway has anybody else had to have their iPad replaced and was it new or refurb?
I wouldn't worry about it. Remember, "refurb" doesn't mean it was beat to hell and then they just wiped it down and sent it back out.

For example, someone could have received an iPad with a volume button that only works when decreasing the sound. They replace the button, ensure everything else is OK, and send it out as a "refurb".

All the "referbs" have new cases & screens too! There isn't any way you can tell. I got a referb back from apple on one of my iPhones & it had a little crack by the volume rocker and they replaced it too.

gjperera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.gilsmethod.com
At the end of the day the refurb unit is probably scrutinized more than the new unit. I've gotten iPhone refurb's before and honestly there is not telling the difference between new and refurb units.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to know. Usually all you hear is bad stuff about refurbs.:)

One thing I didn't like. In order for me to have it sent out right away I had to purchase the Apple Care Package. Otherwise I would have to ship them my iPad and wait 3-5 days. Or longer who knows?

Kind of disappointing, most companies will just take your credit card and ship out something knew to you right away without charging you an extra 99.00.

RoadPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to know. Usually all you hear is bad stuff about refurbs.:)
Depends upon the company, but I think that *most* of that is largely due to a false stigma attached to the idea of a "refurb", not actual issues involving refurbished units.

One thing I didn't like. In order for me to have it sent out right away I had to purchase the Apple Care Package. Otherwise I would have to ship them my iPad and wait 3-5 days. Or longer who knows?

Kind of disappointing, most companies will just take your credit card and ship out something knew to you right away without charging you an extra 99.00.
Now that is odd. :confused:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have an apple store near you they will swap it out in store....anytime I've had to do that it's come off the shelf.

iPad Guru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With any company other than Apple, I would stay away from "refurb." However, I have two Mini's, a PowerBook Pro, Time Capsule, and four Air Port Express devices that are all refurbished from Apple. I've also purchased at least six iPod devices over the years that were also refurbs. Everything I've gotten looked new out of the box; everything I've gotten has the same warrenty as new; and, everything I've gotten worked. I saved hundreds of dollars by buying from the refurbished section, and I was able to get extended warranties on every device.
With that being said, I did buy the iPad new and had it delivered day one. It was the first new Apple device I've purchased in years.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have an apple store near you they will swap it out in store....anytime I've had to do that it's come off the shelf.

Nearest store is 15 miles away. I was surprised to find one that close. Never seen one before.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Like everyone else said Hook, the Apple refurbs are a totally different beast. Whenever I look at ordering computers, iPods, anything bigger from Apple, I ALWAYS look at the refurbs first. The quality is top notch. You will NOT tell it isn't brand new. And hte refurbs they sell have full warranties, just like new. Plus, if there are updates in hardware, things like that, you'll actually be better off since the refurb will have that installed. You'll be great.

mwhartman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hook, check out the one on one at the Apple store. When I purchased my MBP, I purchased a one year contract for $100. I can schedule a one hour appointment at any Apple store and a Apple Expert will work with me on any issue or question that I may have.

Mike

OP
hookbill

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need some more help

I see how the iPad automatically backs up when syncing, but apparently ist doesn't back up your music and books. It says that you need to back this up to a CD. Whoa, I have way too much stuff for a CD.

And another thing I find odd is under books it only has one book listed, "Winnie the Pooh." I never bought Winnie the Pooh I bought Lightning by Dean Koontz yet I don't see it listed under books. How do I back up music and books to iTunes and why doesn't my book show up?

OP
hookbill

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Never Minde...I got it.

I still don't know why Winnie the Pooh is listed as a book but I did discover that since the book I am concerned about is in my Kindle app that when the apps are restored I'll see the book too.

Most reactions