What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

retrieve deleted history please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacki400

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Great forum, im very new at this so bear with me you clever people. I let both my children use my ipad and when i try to look in history its empty, is there anyway i can retrieve deleted history or track that they are surfing safely. They must empty history when the close. i have searched threads and found plenty of how to delete. i hope someone can help. thanks in advance jac

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Great forum, im very new at this so bear with me you clever people. I let both my children use my ipad and when i try to look in history its empty, is there anyway i can retrieve deleted history or track that they are surfing safely. They must empty history when the close. i have searched threads and found plenty of how to delete. i hope someone can help. thanks in advance jac

Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

I saw your query about recovering a deleted history. I'm not sure how old or technically experienced your children are, but deleting the browser's history does take a little effort - requiring you to go to the 'Settings' menu, then select 'Safari' and then 'Delete History'. So they must be doing this deliberately - it cannot be done accidentally. But once it's deleted, it's gone and cannot be recovered. If they were my children then I would do this

(a) Before letting them use the iPad clear the history yourself.
(b) Then browse to a site that you know to set a time marker.
(c) Let them use the iPad and tell them that if, when they return the iPad, the history has been deleted, they will not be allowed to use it again.
(d) When the iPad is returned, you will then be able to check the history.

You need to carry out steps (a) and (b) to make sure that they do not first of all visit some undesirable sites, delete the history and then visit some acceptable sites. By carrying out steps (a) and (b) you set a marker with the site that you visited and the time that you visited it at. If that site is missing from the history when the iPad is returned, then you know that they've - at some stage - deleted the history.

The iPad Safari browser does not otherwise have any way of limiting the sites that you can visit.

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

It’s free too.

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You could turn off Safari under Settings >> General >> Restrictions, then download one of the Kid Safe Browsers. It's not a perfect solutions, but something.

Don't forget the four digit lock code you use when setting up restrictions.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could turn off Safari under Settings >> General >> Restrictions, then download one of the Kid Safe Browsers. It's not a perfect solutions, but something.

Wow. Is there anything you don't know? I have learned so much from you!

what a good idea Mr Poet excellent advice

I agree!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - as usual - twerppoet strikes again. Many thanks for that elegant solution.

Tim
Scotland

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've noticed that if you tap the address bar and start to type, recently entered addresses show up as "suggestions", even if the history has recently been cleared ( which can also be done in the "bookmarks" bar as well as settings). You might be able to "catch" something there.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Wow. Is there anything you don't know? I have learned so much from you!

what a good idea Mr Poet excellent advice

I agree!

Yes - as usual - twerppoet strikes again. Many thanks for that elegant solution.

Tim
Scotland

You're welcome, and thanks, but; :eek:

Just passing on things I've seen elsewhere, in this case I'm pretty sure I saw that answer somewhere else on the forum a couple weeks ago, though it might have been offish topic half way through the thread.

kimayharden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you mean the Safari history - Yes - by restoring from a backup. Obviously that history that you want to recover would have to be in that backup - but your Safari history is stored in the iPad backup. But you cannot find it on the iPad itself without restoring from the backup.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As this is a very old thread and has been answered sufficiently, we will now close it.

Thank you for your understanding

.................THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED..............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions