What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restoring iPad 1 16gb

JimG69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this site. I have a 16gb iPad 1st generation running 5.1.1 and jailbreaked (possibly using redsn0w - not sure as I didn't do it). My question is, has anyone restored theirs to factory settings (so completely wiping everything including the jailbreak)?? If so, how did you do it?? I've been trying for days to do it - I've selected the restore option on the iPad itself, but that wasn't successful. I then tried through iTunes and have got the error code 3004. Please help as I'm wanting to sell the iPad (as have new 1). Thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Jim - welcome to the forum! :)

Although I've not performed this procedure (yet!), you may have to put your device into DFU (Device Firmware Update) mode - look at This THREAD, and also one of many hits HERE, if you care to google - let us know your results - might help others. Dave

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also a welcome from me. :)

Perhaps it's better to use iTunes, on your computer. There, make sure that the software of the computer is up to date, as well as iTunes. Check your security software. It also should be up to date. When trying to restore your device, don't connect another USB device to it. Restart your computer, it may help fixing the problem.

OP
J

JimG69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, the iPad is already stuck in dfu mode (won't let me do anything with it until it's restored). I will check out the threads you've suggested though - thank you.

OP
J

JimG69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, have been using a laptop (all up to date iTunes, antivirus etc etc) but still no progress! Thanks anyway

OP
J

JimG69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP
J

JimG69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well....it didn't work!! I downloaded the file and un-zipped it....there was no ispw file though!!! I'm now trying iOS 5.1...hopefully...

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well....it didn't work!! I downloaded the file and un-zipped it....there was no ispw file though!!! I'm now trying iOS 5.1...hopefully...

Did you use Internet Explorer to oh that IPSW? Because that's probably the reason why you have a got a .zip files instead of a .ipsw file.

In other words, do not unzip the file after you download. Just change the file extension to be .ipsw.

Or, use a different Internet browser rather than Internet Explorer. You want to make sure you have the files loaded and it is not a zip file.

Then with the IPSW for 5.1.1 downloaded, you can go ahead and install it on your iPad1.

Marilyn

OP
J

JimG69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you use Internet Explorer to oh that IPSW? Because that's probably the reason why you have a got a .zip files instead of a .ipsw file.

In other words, do not unzip the file after you download. Just change the file extension to be .ipsw.

Or, use a different Internet browser rather than Internet Explorer. You want to make sure you have the files loaded and it is not a zip file.

Then with the IPSW for 5.1.1 downloaded, you can go ahead and install it on your iPad1.

Marilyn
Hi, well.....yeah I did :( OK, so I've got the 5.1 downloaded (using explorer) if I just change the file from .zip to .ispw it should work?? Then I can update to 5.1.1 after?? Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, well.....yeah I did :( OK, so I've got the 5.1 downloaded (using explorer) if I just change the file from .zip to .ispw it should work?? Then I can update to 5.1.1 after?? Thanks

Yes. Make only the change to the file name extension (.zip to .ipsw). Then, the file should be ready to use.

Then, use the shift/restore from DFU mode method (basically, start at step 4 in the linked Failsafe Tutorial). When you come to the step, that downloaded IPSW file should work fine.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts