What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

-1 error during my restore. HELP ! ! !

steveofiveo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am ready to put a bullet in my head at this point. Here's whats going on.

First off I am more of a pc person vs an apple person so this might be part of the problem.

My daughter was streaming video on my ipad 1 wifi and the battery died. Plugged it inand charged it to 100%.
Upon the restart it wanted to activate the ipad using the wifi but failed a few times so I plugged it into itunes.
It wanted to restore it, so I let it. Big mistake.
At the very end of the restore it fails and presents a (-1) error.
I brought it to the apple store and they cant/wont fix it (same error) and want me to buy a new one.
I refuse because I now know its a software problem (firmware ?) and they want me to buy a new one.
I keep trying to restore it with different cables/usb ports, no success.
I fire up an old net book thst had an old version of itunes on it (version 6 ?) still no luck but now it gave another error code (3194). I tried searching for fixes utilizing DFU mode, latest apple firmware from your site, etc
I tried following instruction that some folks on this forum recommeded such as looking at host files etc. no success.
I get error 3194 everytime not matter what the itunes version except for the latest (11 ?) then I get the -1 error.

Is this thing really dead ?

HELP ! ! !

:(

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Usually, a -1 error code indicates that there is a hardware fault with the iPad. I'm afraid that if you've tried to restore it AND so has the Apple Store, then it really is "dead."

See this for further details on the -1 error code: iTunes: Specific update-and-restore error messages and advanced troubleshooting. Maybe it'll help you see if you can try to get it to work.

Marilyn

P.S. I deleted your other post you made today on this same topic. Making more than one post not only fragments the conversation and makes it hard to follow - it's against the forum rules. Please keep any follow-ups, discussion or updates on this topic to this thread; do not start another. Thanks for your understanding.

OP
S

steveofiveo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
new twist ! ! !

I got rid of the (-1) error and only the 3194 error exist (I think that is progress).

Can I just bring it toi the apple store and let them give it another shot since the (-1) hardware error is gone ? Or will they just turn me away ?

Thanks for your help !

A

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What iOS firmware version are you trying to install? Cause I just noticed that you are running and iPad1, right?

An iPad can only go up to iOS 5.1.1.

So, try running the install again - but use iOS 5.1.1.

Worth a shot before going to the Apple Store again...

Marilyn

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
new twist ! ! !

I got rid of the (-1) error and only the 3194 error exist (I think that is progress).

Can I just bring it toi the apple store and let them give it another shot since the (-1) hardware error is gone ? Or will they just turn me away ?

Thanks for your help !

A

Some of the time the errors are caused by your antivirus software. You can try to temporarily disable it before you restore your iPad. My antivirus software had choices to disable for a certain number of minutes or until next reboot. While the antivirus software is disabled you won't have protection from the outside so it wouldn't be wise to go anywhere else until you re-enable it.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A 3194 isn't necessarily progress. It is actually a backwards step. It means you are not authorised to install the firmware you are trying to install on that device. Either you are trying an old file (which you cannot do, it must be 5.1.1), or you are not asking Apple for signatures because you have diverted to either Cydia or local (via TinyUmbrella).

I suggest you follow all of the steps in our guide here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hack...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

If you have shut down every other process on your PC that you can, and you still consistently get a -1, then it sounds like a hardware fault. To be honest, if the Apple Store gets a -1 error when trying to restore, then it sounds like a hardware issue to me. Despite what you may think, they do not deliberately fail to restore IOS on a device in order to force you to buy a new one.

OP
S

steveofiveo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
O.K. Here is the latest. I tried to update the Operating System via Redsnow. I believe I was able to get the firmware on it because it showed something "kernel" when it loaded. I tried the next step to load cydia but it would freeze. A little disappointing. I will try a couple more times and using the Operating System 5.1.1 as you folks recommended but I am unsure what version of Redsnow I should use (I appologize for my lack of computer skills but the apple is all new to me).

Is there some thing else I should try ?

Apple tried again and they came up with (-1) so as mentioned earlier, I might be dead in the water.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Thank you

S

Most reactions

Latest posts