What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restore ios 5.1 after 6.0 is out.

dandem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello All,
I have a simple question hope to get a simple answer,
we all know ios 6.0 is coming we don't know how long will it take to jailbreake it,
at some point I like to restore my ipad 3 jailbreake it and load only some tweaks,
after ios 6 release I cant use itunes, so my question is:
Is there a way to restore ipad 3 ios 5.1 from file or image after ios 6 release?

thank you !
Dan.

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
I suppose that would all depend on what Jailbreak is released at the time, but I have a feeling that you won't be able to go back though.

We have an excellent Jailbreak community on here, with some of the finest Guru's on this technology, so I'm sure when it is released and whether new JailBreaking technologies are found, this will be your first port of call for up to date info!!

Hope this info will help you till someone more knowledgeable pops in here

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Simple answer. No. Reason? SHSH Blobs cannot be replayed on an iPad3 and therefore once you upgrade to 6.0 and the signing window for 5.1.1 is closed by Apple there will be no way back unless a subsequent vulnerability is found to allow the downgrade.

OP
D

dandem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Simple answer. No. Reason? SHSH Blobs cannot be replayed on an iPad3 and therefore once you upgrade to 6.0 and the signing window for 5.1.1 is closed by Apple there will be no way back unless a subsequent vulnerability is found to allow the downgrade.

I won't upgrade to 6.0 till jailbreake for 6.0 will be released, but just in case if something will go wrong with ipad,
how to restore it to 5.1? I like to have some kind of image or backup
so I can always go back to it and restore my ipad.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As f4780y said - there is no method known today that will allow you to downgrade to iOS 5.x on the iPad3 once Apple closes the signing window. NONE. And, once iOS6 has been officially released, you can expect that window for iOS 5 to close pretty quickly...

You can save SHSH blobs, for the [hoped for] time when the jail breaking community can create a downgrade tool. That's always a good thing to do. But, as of now, they're not useable.

Again, for the immediate future (when the signing window is closed), once you have upgraded an iPad3 or an iPad2 to iOS 6, jail break or no jail break - there is NO going back to iOS 5.

Marilyn

OP
D

dandem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How to save SHSH blobs?
What's in iTunes backup?

OP
D

dandem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Redneck_Randy said:

Thank you for the link, very informative.

Gurus, let me ask this question:
What will happen if I do the steps bellow.
1. Create Virtual machine
2. Install iTunes
3. Restore iPad (firmware 5.1.1 will be downloaded)
4. Disable VM NIC (no Internet access)

So now, iTunes can't check if software is the latest and 5.1.1 should be available locally for restore.

Is this will work or I'm dreaming?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You are dreaming.

It CANNOT be done. There is no way. If there was a way, we would tell you. There is no workaround, no matter how clever you think you might be! Sorry :(

SHSH Blobs cannot be circumvented. What you described wont even work today...

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts