What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restore Factory settings to reset IOS

joepauljig

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I just had a quick question that I couldn't find the answer to. If I did a factory reset on my Ipad 2, would it reset the IOS back to the factory version? I just recently bought my Ipad 2 and I believe it came stock with 4.3.3 and I took the 2 updates to get it to 4.3.5 before reading and discovering that version of the IOS can't be jailbroken. I was hoping since this is a new Ipad and I didn't have that much stuff on it, then I could just reset it and then run jailbrake and all would be well.

Would this work?

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That will not work, unless you saved the SHSH Bolbs for 4.3.3
There is no way for you to go back to 4.3.3 without it and they are specific to your device.

GapsterLeFayt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you a restore to factory settings will the ipad2 be as if you just bought it from the shop?

ie. can you start everything from scratch?

The reason I ask is it's present for my mother-in-law. If I set it all up in France to check it's all OK can I then 'wipe clean' all my info and start afresh in Belgium?

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you do a factory restore on let's say iOS5.0.1 It will then be restored to iO5.0.1 with all of your data and settings gone. It will not restore to iOS3 (which came with my iPad).

Sent from my jailbroken K48,

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GapsterLeFayt said:
If you a restore to factory settings will the ipad2 be as if you just bought it from the shop?

ie. can you start everything from scratch?

The reason I ask is it's present for my mother-in-law. If I set it all up in France to check it's all OK can I then 'wipe clean' all my info and start afresh in Belgium?

Yes but read my last post

Sent from my jailbroken K48,

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. Is it then possible to update to iOS3 after a factory reset?

Sorry, but no. The only firmware you can put on an iPad after a restore is the latest and greatest - which, today, is iOS 5.0.1. And besides, going to iOS 3 is not an update (that was two major firmware updates ago). iOS 5 is where the Apple world is...

So, fresh out of the box in this case means as if you bought it today - nothing on it but stock Apple apps and iOS 5.0.1 firmware.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

GapsterLeFayt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ahh, I see. So whatever happens it will restore to the 'current' system. ie. iOS 5.0.1.

Just one more thing, as I'm a bit of a numpty... If I install Skype for ipad2 on it, try it out, then do a restore to factory settings is it going to allow me to re-download skype again when I get to Belgium and start afresh??

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GapsterLeFayt said:
Ahh, I see. So whatever happens it will restore to the 'current' system. ie. iOS 5.0.1.

Just one more thing, as I'm a bit of a numpty... If I install Skype for ipad2 on it, try it out, then do a restore to factory settings is it going to allow me to re-download skype again when I get to Belgium and start afresh??

Yes, open iTunes on your iPad, then go to the purchased tab, scroll to your Skype App and touch the cloud icon.

The Archangel

Attachments

• image-2920572715.png
    image-2920572715.png
    454.3 KB · Views: 528

GapsterLeFayt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, do I have to purchase skype for Ipad2 via itunes?

From what I can gather there is a free download for Ipad, so now I'm confused....

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, do I have to purchase skype for Ipad2 via itunes?

From what I can gather there is a free download for Ipad, so now I'm confused....

Every app you download / own will appear on the purchased tab, whether they are free or paid. It's just terminology and a place to find your apps. Don't sweat it.

Most reactions

Latest posts