What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reset App Store search with ios7?

Missmouse3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since I have ios 7 when I now go to App Store, I have one app details that I was looking at but I am now unable to get rid of it & get back to the search. Do I have to download it & then uninstall it to get back to search ? Seems a convoluted way to do things now.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since I have ios 7 when I now go to App Store, I have one app details that I was looking at but I am now unable to get rid of it & get back to the search. Do I have to download it & then uninstall it to get back to search ? Seems a convoluted way to do things now.
To search for another app when the details of your current search are onscreen, simply tap the screen anywhere outside the box containing the app details. Then tap the X at the right side of the search box and enter your next search.

image-3403887407.jpg

image-4058623779.jpg

OP
M

Missmouse3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
yes, but my point is this: if I tap anywhere outside the lit up box ( as helpfully suggested by you) nothing happens! Its like only stuff inside the box is active, such as downloading the said app ( which I dont want anyway!) this has only happened since I ( stupidly!) downloaded the IOS7 "upgrade"!
(-Oh, & Ive tried switching the thing on & off a few times!)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
yes, but my point is this: if I tap anywhere outside the lit up box ( as helpfully suggested by you) nothing happens! Its like only stuff inside the box is active, such as downloading the said app ( which I dont want anyway!) this has only happened since I ( stupidly!) downloaded the IOS7 "upgrade"! (-Oh, & Ive tried switching the thing on & off a few times!)
That's not the way it's supposed to work in iOS 7. I've been running iOS 7 since June and have never run into your problem. What happens if you exit the AppStore app, then clear it from the multitasking bar? If that doesn't work, try a reset of your iPad. To do so, press and hold the power and home buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, then release both buttons. Let us know if that works.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you restored the iPad using iTunes and a computer yet?

Given the large number of problems you've run into this really seems like the only thing that's going to help.

I'm sure you've seen them before, but I'll post the usual fixes below, just in case there's one there you haven't tried yet.

------------------------------
The Usual Fixes
------------------------------

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app:

iOS 6: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app.

iOS 7: Double tap the Home button to get the multitasking display. Swipe up on the problem app's thumbnail image (not the icon).

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Reset All Settings: Another, somewhat more drastic thing you can do is Reset All Settings. You'll find this under Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. It won't erase any of your content, apps, or accounts; but you will have to go through most of your other settings and re-tweak them back to your liking.

OP
M

Missmouse3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Ill try all that, although some of them I have done already! (What is the difference between an app icon & thumbnail?)
BTW, this "stuck" app has not been downloaded or installed, its just one I was looking at the details of on app store

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Ill try all that, although some of them I have done already! (What is the difference between an app icon & thumbnail?) BTW, this "stuck" app has not been downloaded or installed, its just one I was looking at the details of on app store
The app icon is what appears on the home screen. The thumbnail is what appears above the app icon when the multi tasking bar is displayed. To remove apps from the multi tasking bar, swipe up on the thumbnail, not the app icon.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
SciFan has already answered your question, to the point. I'm going to expand a bit, just because I'm feeling the urge.

In general a thumbnail is a smaller version of a picture or site meant to make it easy to identify and/or navigate a list. An icon is a graphic designed to represent something, and app, or perhaps just an action you can take. One is a miniature, real, representation of what you are looking for. The other is a symbol representing what you are looking for.

Most reactions