What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Request for email password locks screen

larrymcg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 wifi only. Upgraded to iOS 7.1.1 from 6.xxx a couple days ago. Before upgrading I enabled backups to iCloud and manually forced a backup.

Last night I charged the iPad for the first time after the iOS upgrade. Two things happened this morning when I unlocked my iPad.
First I got a request that backup needed my Apple ID. I happen to have that memorized to I entered it.
Next I got a request to enter the password for my yahoo mail which I access via the mail app. Well, I don't have my email password memorized - I use longer passwords and miniKeePass to remember them for me. However the request for the yahoo password locked the screen so that I could not get to miniKeePass to fetch the password. I tried double clicking the Home button to no avail. I tried a four finger drag up from the bottom of the screen to no avail. My only option was to click cancel on the password request.

I believe it was possible to switch tasks in this situation on iOS 6 and fetch the password from miniKeePass.

Is this normal iOS 7 behavior? If so it is pretty bad news.

How can I avoid this deadlock situation?

Also, the iPad did not back up to iCloud last night. Maybe it was asking for the apple password all night?

.. Larry

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are talking about a password request that appeared while you were on a Home Screen, then not being able to do anything until your respond or close the dialog is normal; even in iOS 6 and earlier.

If you were in an app and unable to exit the app using the Home button, that is not normal. Restart or reset the iPad and see if it happens again.

The easiest way to deal with the Yahoo account is to go into the Account's settings and re-enter your password there. You can copy it from your password app first, before going to settings. If that does not work, try deleting the account and re-adding it instead. Sometimes email accounts, especially Yahoo, have problems if you just try and enter the password; though I have't run into that one recently, so maybe it's fixed.

OP
larrymcg

larrymcg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Both requests for passwords were overlaid on the settings app. I have not noticed any issues with using my yahoo mail even though I did not put in the requested password. Maybe some other part of the system wanted the password and I haven't discovered it yet.

.. Larry

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Every once in a while when I open the Apple Mail app, I'm asked for my Yahoo password, I usually put it in but when I'm feeling lazy and click cancel, I still get all my mail, and the only Yahoo app I have installed is Weather.

Sent from my iPod touch using iPF

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Every once in a while when I open the Apple Mail app, I'm asked for my Yahoo password, I usually put it in but when I'm feeling lazy and click cancel, I still get all my mail, and the only Yahoo app I have installed is Weather. Sent from my iPod touch using iPF
I get that pop up as well, on occasion, all I do is tap the ignore button as well.

OP
larrymcg

larrymcg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as I can tell I do not have any other Yahoo apps installed. It seems that ignoring the request and clicking cancel is OK. I'll also pay more attention if it happens again and maybe I'll learn something useful.
Thanks for the feedback,
Larry

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I get that pop up as well, on occasion, all I do is tap the ignore button as well.

Me too, and I tap cancel.

Strangely I also sometimes when accessing the settings screen !

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I admit it's happened to me also (though not recently), and cancel works more often than not. I'd guess it is a problem with Yahoo's servers. If it happens too often I delete and re-add the Yahoo account, and the problem (usually) goes away. At least for a while.

Then again, I barely use my Yahoo account, so problems with it tend to get forgotten.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I admit it's happened to me also (though not recently), and cancel works more often than not. I'd guess it is a problem with Yahoo's servers. If it happens too often I delete and re-add the Yahoo account, and the problem (usually) goes away. At least for a while. Then again, I barely use my Yahoo account, so problems with it tend to get forgotten.

It also sometimes happens when I open the settings app !

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts