What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where do I change mail account password?

SwanseaMick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having amended my yahoo Account password via my PC, where can I change it on Ipad mail? (IOS10.1.1)

When I click on Settings/mail/ then select Account, the Account Information screen only shows the following information:
1. Name
2. Email
3. Description

Then SMTP Server -> which is set to Yahoo! SMTP Server

There is nowhere to enter/change the password!

Watching online videos, the account information screen shows an extra line for password, but mine doesn't. Any ideas?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The easiest way to change the password of an email account on your iPad, is to delete the account from your device and set it up again afterwards.

You get the option to enter a password in Settings - Mail - Accounts - the account - Outgoing Mail Server - Yahoo! SMTP Server.

OP
S

SwanseaMick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounded easy, but I couldn't Add a Yahoo Account!

Got as far as Yahoo Login, I entered my username and password, I was returned to Ipad settings, then nothing, except the 'please wait' wheel spinning. (I did receive e-mails on my PC, saying that there was an new sign-in on IOS, so something was happening)

On third attempt success, but what a palaver! Why can't apple re-instate the change password option? With the current crop of hacking attempts, I'm inclined to change my password once a month, but this is serious barrier to my doing that!

Thanks

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The reason why there is no longer an option to change the password on the iPad is probably because logically it is not necessary if you have already changed the password on your Yahoo Account page.

OP
S

SwanseaMick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, that doesn't make sense! Surely if I change my password on Yahoo, the iPad Mail app won't be able to access the account using the old password! When I did change the Yahoo acoount password, iPad mail reported a problem accessing my Mail!

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you set up your mail account on the device, it gets permanently credentialed until the credential is revoked through the server.

OP
S

SwanseaMick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Jupiter7,
That explains a lot! I was used to having to change the password on my PC whenever I changed it at Yahoo. Apple seem to have the upper hand in this regard.
It also explains why the password no longer appears in iPad settings.
Problem solved!

Most reactions

Latest posts