What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replace digitizer/ touch screen

LasJayhawk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I finally did it I dropped my first generation iPad mini and cracked the digitizer screen. Has anybody changed one of these how big of a pain is it?

It doesn't seem worth it to pay Apple $200 to fix it when I can get a new second-generation for $230 but I can get a new digitizer screen for like $25 and was wondering if it was worth trying to repair it myself?

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Take it from someone who had done dozens of iPad mini screen replacements. If you have no experience doing it , it's going to be very hard and frustrating. That $25 screen is going to be a piece of junk which will likely not work properly. A decent screen is going to be around $50. Look for a reputable repair shop and be prepared to pay $100-$150. If you do decide to diy, go to ifixit and YouTube and do some research first.

OP
L

LasJayhawk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I looked at a few of the YouTube videos, lets just say some of the workmanship left something to be desired. :) I've been doing component level troubleshooting and repair for 35 years, but not on anything this jam packed.

It only has 2 cracks that are barely in the screen area, the shattered part is in the white in the lower right hand corner with the unit in landscape position. I'm halfway tempted to stabilize the thing with a glass rated epoxy and use it as is ( in fact I'm using it now)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I looked at a few of the YouTube videos, lets just say some of the workmanship left something to be desired. :) I've been doing component level troubleshooting and repair for 35 years, but not on anything this jam packed.

It only has 2 cracks that are barely in the screen area, the shattered part is in the white in the lower right hand corner with the unit in landscape position. I'm halfway tempted to stabilize the thing with a glass rated epoxy and use it as is ( in fact I'm using it now)
In that case, putting the iPad in a case that covers the bezel around the screen would hide most of the damaged area.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Glass rated epoxy may be overkill and could cause more harm than good if it manages to get inside somehow. Use a screen protector if you want to leave it as is.

Elizellen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bashed my original mini against a wall (reading as I walked) and have cracks spreading across one corner from near the home button. I just covered the cracks with clear parcel tape and it has worked OK for over a year.

OP
L

LasJayhawk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've gone the tape route for now, but a screen protector may be in the near future.

I've got all the aircraft manuals for the birds I work on on it. It tends to get knocked around a bit so I'm not sure if it will hold up. I like the mini naked, it fits in my jacket pocket in the winter, but it is a tad small when reading complex wiring diagrams or printed circuit board drawings. Perhaps it is a sign I should get an iPad Air, and a jacket with bigger pockets. :)

Most reactions