What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repairing Ipad dock connector vs selling for parts & upgrading

Bareyataghan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello! I have a Ipad A1337 (3g 64gb ipad 1st gen) that was gifted to me by a friend who never used it. Prior to giving it to me he erased everything and set it to factory restore. It says "Connect to Itunes," yet, try as I might, with various cables (the one he gave me and my girlfriends iphone 4 cable, as well as several of my old iphone 3 cables) I can't get it to be recognized on my windows 7 PC or her macbook pro (not even in devices or under device manager). It seems to charge (it doesn't show a charging symbol, but the charge hasn't dropped below 100%).

I've tried all the resets, DFU mode, reinstall itunes etc etc. None of these things works. When asked, he told me that he did have some difficulty charging and would have to finagle the cable to get it to charge. This leads to me to believe it's the data connector that is failing? I called a technician and he quoted me ~90$ for a replacement & labor. This brings me to my question:

TLDR:

I was told it might be wiser to sell my A1337 (which seems to have a malfunctioning data connector) for parts and use the profits to buy a new Ipad, rather than to spend 90$ to get it fixed. I'm not sure what to think. I know that the Ipad is in great physical condition, and my friend said it was working fine. What do you good fellows suggest? I'm tempted to just get it fixed for 90$ and enjoy it as is.

Thank you for any insight or help!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did you take it to an apple store and let them look at it?

Most reactions