What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Renting films?

skipper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there. Is it worth renting movies or is it better just to buy them?. How long have you to watch it until the movie expiers and how many times can you watch them?.

Oh by the way not used my ipad much my mum keeps nicking it and playing Harbour Master for some reason all time :p.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is all a matter of personal preference. The vendor from whom you rent videos determines the period of time in which it can be viewed.

There are a few "desert island" movies that I actually own (you know, the movies that you could watch over and over and over if you were stranded on a desert island), but for the most part, I rent.

You have to decide what is right for you. We can't do that for you.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if you rent a movie from iTunes you have 30 days to begin watching the film before it expires. Once you start the movie, you have 24 hours from that point before it expires. You can play it as many times as you like within that 24-hour window.

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
I am a fan of netflix. I am inclined to be a renter, I rarely watch a movie more than once, but my nieces watch the same stuff constantly. $9 a month is a steal based on how much I use it.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if you rent a movie from iTunes you have 30 days to begin watching the film before it expires. Once you start the movie, you have 24 hours from that point before it expires. You can play it as many times as you like within that 24-hour window.

Yes and the purchase price is usually 3 times the rental fee.

T

TJK

My wife and I use Netflix now pretty much exclusively. For $8.99 per month we get unlimited streaming movies through any of our web connected devices including our LG blu-Ray so we can watch on our 50" plasma. Also on our iPads which is great for when we travel. Throw in DVDs delivered to our door and it's a great deal.

We only buy our absolute favorites now.

When rentals were $4-$5 we would be more likely to buy a DVD that we thought we might like and keep it in the library. But with streaming content and $1 rentals from Redbox we buy less and less.

gerip1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like for someone to clarify the Netflix thing for me. The only reason that I would want to watch a movie on my Ipad is to do so while on a plane or some such place where I had no TV. I don't fly that often, but I have a cross country flight coming up in 2 weeks. Will a movie stream live to the Ipad while on a plane? Also, and I know this is a stupid question to some people, but is internet available while on a plane?

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like for someone to clarify the Netflix thing for me. The only reason that I would want to watch a movie on my Ipad is to do so while on a plane or some such place where I had no TV. I don't fly that often, but I have a cross country flight coming up in 2 weeks. Will a movie stream live to the Ipad while on a plane? Also, and I know this is a stupid question to some people, but is internet available while on a plane?

Well, I had the same question....so I don't think its stupid. As far as I know airplanes do not have internet connections on them. In fact you are supposed to turn all of it off...iPad gives us a button for this in the settings area-airplane mode.

As far as I know you cannot stream a movie on the airplane.

I downloaded my movie (took flipping forever on my 1mb isp...so I did it at night after I went to bed.) I bought a head phone splitter as 2 of us wanted to watch, had 2 headsets and we were happy campers and the envy of our fellow travelers.

It was great. I'll do it again, next time I travel.

hth
CM

gerip1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From where did you download your movie? Can you download a Netflix movie so that you don't have to stream it?

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've always had this argument with my wife, and she always wins,,, thats why we have a few hundred movies and no place to store them. So we watch the movie one time then it goes on a shelf somewhere. My wife swears she will watch these movies over again, but in the fifteen years we have been together, it hasn't happened yet...... I say rent the movie and don't listen to your significant other half :p:p

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From where did you download your movie? Can you download a Netflix movie so that you don't have to stream it?

Downloaded it from iTunes. Just hope you have a faster isp then mine. I don't stream movies at all. I guess I could, but haven't found a time to watch them. I need to be trapped on a plane with nothing better to do while sitting to watch a movie.

Most reactions