What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote Desktop for Streaming

hafa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need an app that allows me to establish a connection to a computer. There are two requirements:

1) I need a separate desktop for EACH connection, i.e. I don't want to control the desktop on the target computer.

2) I will be streaming imaging content. At least 3fps, ideally 10fps

What is the best app/approach to do this? Note that I have a limited budget, i.e. <=$100.

J.D

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.HaxorNoob.com
I use Airvideo which is excellent to stream videos from your computer via a wireless connection, GoodReader is also excellent to stream documents, download documents offline and you can also download images and I think also you can stream them just like documents. There is an official app alongside AirVideo for imaging purposes AirPhoto HD which works pretty much the same as AirVideo but with streaming your photos instead of videos. It can be den via Local WiFi, Remote Access or 3G. Read up on them for more info to see what is right for you.

Hope I helped.

OP
H

hafa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I think the 'streaming' was missleading. I have a CAD like rendering application on the computer to which I want to connect. So it continuous to render new images at 3-10fps as I manipulates the data. Multiple instances of this application can run at the same time so I want other users to connect as well (with a different desktop and different version of the program).

I looked at some apps but many are pure remote desktop, i.e. you control the screen of the computer. However, I need a separate desktop for each connection and the program needs to 'stream' data well.

OP
H

hafa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, multiple desktops for multiple iPads. So the PC keeps its own desktop and each iPad logging into the computer gets it's own desktop. Also each of the iPad will run a separate instance of the same program (running on the PC).

PC --> Desktop at PC
iPad #1 connected to PC --> Desktop 1
iPad #2 connected to PC --> Desktop 2

J.D

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.HaxorNoob.com
Ah I think I see what you are getting at, well do you have two different desktops? Laptop and pc maybe? Also it would help if you have two different wifi connections and two different servers to do it on.

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, actually it sounds like he does not want to control the server's desktop (i.e. VNC) but rather have multiple concurrent remote sessions (i.e. Windows Terminal Server).

OP
H

hafa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, actually it sounds like he does not want to control the server's desktop (i.e. VNC) but rather have multiple concurrent remote sessions (i.e. Windows Terminal Server).

Yes, that is exactly what I want. Sorry if my explanation was not too good. What I have found so far is always cntrolling the server's desktop which is not what I require. Are there any solutions for 'remote sessions' that also handle 'streaming' (rendering of CAD type models at 3-10fps) well?

Raffaele

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have about the same requirement. I work in AV and the iPad would be the perfect Comfort Monitor for my clients.
Using a Remote Desktop App such as VNC or Splashtop (which works great streaming videos with sound) or Radmin (which works great but is Windows only) as Server on the PC that runs the presentations (Powerpoint or whatever) and the Viewer on multiple iPads, which I can hand out to attendees and chairman,so they can see the presentation even if they are sitting giving the back to the screen with the projected image.
And hiring them out my iPads would repay themselves in no-time!
So the question is: any Remote Desktop App that can support Multiple Viewer devices?

Most reactions

Latest posts