What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Fast Terminal Server SW

hafa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now that I know what to call the software I am trying to find some advice what solutions exist. I have multiple people with iPads that want to connect to the same server and each needs an independent desktop/terminal. These users are manipulating CAD type 3D data and therefore need around 3-10fps 'realtime'. I searched a lot in the forum but all I see are VNC type programs that control the computers desktop which is not what I need (as explained above). Any input is appreciated.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Jump Desktop to connect to Windows Terminal Services on Windows Server 2008 R2, 2003 Enterprise and Standard Editions, Windows 2000, and also to XP and Vista clients.

And at home I can also connect to Windows 7 Home Edition using a free VNC server

bundat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At work, we have a SINGLE server running multiple VMs (virtual machines) using VMWare I think.

And we can VNC to each VM separately, which gives the illusion that we all have separate workstations we can connect to. This setup might fit your needs.

OP
H

hafa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Jump Desktop to connect to Windows Terminal Services on Windows Server 2008 R2, 2003 Enterprise and Standard Editions, Windows 2000, and also to XP and Vista clients.

And at home I can also connect to Windows 7 Home Edition using a free VNC server

Thanks. I saw Jump Desktop before but I was under the impression it controls the server rather than creating an independent session/desktop. Am I wrong? Can you have multiple simultaneous users each doing his/her own thing?

bundat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
USBill's solutions do not provide a solution for this part of your post:
each needs an independent desktop/terminal

Try out my setup.
Simply install a VNC server on each VM.
And then you can use any of the many VNC client apps out there to access it.

Each VM will have its own desktop, independent of the server's actual desktop, so VNC will be good enough.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i may have misunderstood your question. Jump desktop is a client software. You can use it to connect to as many "servers" as you want. If the computer is running Windows Terminal Services multiple clients (iPads or PCs) can connect at the same time.

What OS is running on your server? And what CAD software are you using?

The number of clients that can connect to a Windows computer is dependent on the OS installed on the SERVER computer, not on the iPad.

The people using the software should be advised that the screen of the iPad is only 1024x768 which is pretty small for most CAD users.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts