What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red Leather Smart Cover

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a black leather smart case on a black iPad 2 (both colors have the same glass on top) and there is no bleeding and no issues. Of course the leather side never touches the face of the iPad anyway.

Yea I know they both have the same screen and yes the leather side never touches the screen, however on the red cover both sides are red. Some has said that this red material has rubbed off onto their white devices. So I was just wondering from the acutal owners who had both red covers with white devices how there's looked. In your case black on black, of course its a non- issues.

The 6th review was one of the ones that had me concerned, plus I read it somewhere else too.
iPad Smart Cover - Leather - (PRODUCT) RED - Apple Store (U.S.)

Only the bezel is black, most of the display is not. I have no black stains anywhere. And I can assure you that I have no black residue or oil stains on my fingers after hauling the iPad around in the black leather smart case for the last couple of weeks.

Maybe the red cases are different.

PatS

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I picked up a black leather one from Griffen at Best Buy made like the one you linked to. Quite happy with it. I wanted more protection than the smart cover offered.

Crazycatlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tarkio said:
It certainly is for me. I can lay it face down when not in use with no worries, and when it's sitting on a table face up I don't have to be concerned about my cat walking and sitting on the bare glass.

The stand feature is a very practical option.

I have the cat toy app so cat loves sitting and attacking my screen!
Lol

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want the red one but it's 2-3 week wait unless you want to buy from eBay and those losers who are overcharging to make a fast buck...I picked up a cream leather and it feels sooo much nicer than my grey poly cover!

Xrg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Red leather case

My red leather case is cream on the inside. Purchased on amazon. Did I get a knock off?

Inside it says designed by apple in California. Assembled in china

dayangheimy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Xrg said:
My red leather case is cream on the inside. Purchased on amazon. Did I get a knock off?

I have red leather one, red on the inside not cream. Got mine from apple store

Mine say the same thing plus (product) red

EIGHTYTHREE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Xrg said:

Mine is red on inside but mine was purchased at near launch date...ive never seen the cream inside before but they could have different variants now. Something doesnt seem rightabout that tho

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've bought two in the past month, direct from Apple. Both are red on the inside.

Xrg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Beware knock-offs on amazon!!

I sent it back. There is no easy way to alert Amazon that there are merchants advertising the leather case and selling imitations! If the merchant refunds my money, then apparently they have not violated any rules of amazon.

That doesn't seem right!

EIGHTYTHREE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Xrg said:
I sent it back. There is no easy way to alert Amazon that there are merchants advertising the leather case and selling imitations! If the merchant refunds my money, then apparently they have not violated any rules of amazon.

That doesn't seem right!

How much did you pay for it, if u dont mind me asking

King.Khoja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personally like it, i think its a nice touch. I use it only when im going somewhere special not an every day use smart cover.

Cyndunsfordmla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Red smart cover and white iPad don't mix

Red cover has stained my iPad. But I have a plastic protector so it has only stained the plastic. It is very stained and ugly. Any ideas about ridding the red stains from the plastic?

debsylvania

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered my red leather smart cover from the Apple store when I ordered my iPad2. (The smart cover is red, front and back.) I've had them for three months now, and the red has never bled on to anything, even on the occasion of a few drops of water falling on to the cover and being wiped up.

I don't understand how the dye is bleeding on to your plastic screen protector unless there was a whole lot of moisture involved, or unless (as others have suspected of covers they have purchased) you've somehow obtained a knock-off.

At any rate, I love the red leather. I expect over time it will get better looking, as leather tends to do.

The smart cover doesn't provide full protection in itself, it is the convenience of its ability to put your iPad to sleep and that it can fold to provide angled support, etc. that makes it desirable.

I use a clear snap-on protector on the back of my iPad and transport it in a Cocoon case (Cocoon NoLita II – CNS343 - Cocoon), so it is well protected.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
debsylvania said:
I don't understand how the dye is bleeding on to your plastic screen protector unless there was a whole lot of moisture involved, or unless (as others have suspected of covers they have purchased) you've somehow obtained a knock-off.

It is entirely possible that the aniline dye used for the smartcover will leach onto a polymer by direct diffusion. The problem lies in the quality of the specific dye used, and I believe Apple sells its leather smartcovers with a small-print warning that the dyes aren't fast. As a longtime leather owner, Apple's leather smartcovers are about low to middle-grade leather, and quite poor value for their cost.

Most reactions

Latest posts