What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recommendation on photo app, pls & ty

beach1ady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First, I should say that I am only an amateur photographer with a Cannon point and shoot. I am going on a 2 week wildlife expedition this summer which will mean, many many photos. I bought the camera connection kit from Apple, so that I can transfer my photos onto the iPad each night.

What I'm looking for is a photo app that
1) lets me go thru and delete the blurry, poorly shot etc. photos.
2) lets me do some basic editing, sorting, categorizing, naming etc. on the iPad while away
3) and then transfers full photo (resolution) and any editing done back to my macbook pro when I return so that I can do my normal vacation photo-book.

I've done some searching and the following apps seem good but none jumped out as the "gotta have it" app.
Photo Transfer App
Photogene for iPad
PhotoSync
PhotoPal
Filterstorm Pro (may be too complicated for this novice)

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
Thanks,

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FilterStorm Pro is certainly the most capable of the apps that you mention and, given what you want to do with your photos, it might be worth investing the time getting to know how to use it. It can certainly accomplish everything that you are looking for and more besides but, as you say, it is a 'professional' tool and definitely would require some getting used to. Hopefully other members will be able to give you some insight into the other apps that you mention.

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes- just been reading the reviews of that app too - it looks as though it might beat my recommendation....:(

Tim

OP
beach1ady

beach1ady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Photosmith?

I did look at this one but it seems to only sync with Lightroom which is not a product that I use. Do you know if it syncs to iPhoto (or just straight to a folder on the mac so I can import to iPhoto?)

Thanks!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ones I use are
Photogene,
Retouch well worth getting
Filterstorm
Phot FX Ultra
and recently 100 cameras....still playing around with this one but it's by the guy who runs the Stuck in Customs website and he's one hell of a photographer Trey something or other :)

Kin Lau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
beach1ady said:
First, I should say that I am only an amateur photographer with a Cannon point and shoot. I am going on a 2 week wildlife expedition this summer which will mean, many many photos. I bought the camera connection kit from Apple, so that I can transfer my photos onto the iPad each night.

What I'm looking for is a photo app that
1) lets me go thru and delete the blurry, poorly shot etc. photos.
2) lets me do some basic editing, sorting, categorizing, naming etc. on the iPad while away
3) and then transfers full photo (resolution) and any editing done back to my macbook pro when I return so that I can do my normal vacation photo-book.

I would suggest doing #1 in-camera, at least doing the first cull in-camera. Even if you have the 64gig model, get a few more sdhc's, they're relatively cheap and you won't be relying on the iPad for storage. When shooting wildlife, the keeper rate is very low,you don't want to be hampered by a lack of storage. Trying to offload a card while action is happening is a recipe for a disaster.

I use a dslr, and so far the iPad is falling short for me. I'll have to wait for a CF card reader, but I would much prefer an app that can preview/browse file right off the card instead of having to transfer 1st. When you have a few hundred gigs of images, the iPad is just not a solution at all... Back to the laptop.

Reaction score
Kin Lau said:
I would suggest doing #1 in-camera, at least doing the first cull in-camera. Even if you have the 64gig model, get a few more sdhc's, they're relatively cheap and you won't be relying on the iPad for storage. When shooting wildlife, the keeper rate is very low,you don't want to be hampered by a lack of storage. Trying to offload a card while action is happening is a recipe for a disaster.

I use a dslr, and so far the iPad is falling short for me. I'll have to wait for a CF card reader, but I would much prefer an app that can preview/browse file right off the card instead of having to transfer 1st. When you have a few hundred gigs of images, the iPad is just not a solution at all... Back to the laptop.

While the storage size is indeed a problem, is it possible to read from CF cards by plugging in a CF USB card reader into the USB camera connector,

Kin Lau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
While the storage size is indeed a problem, is it possible to read from CF cards by plugging in a CF USB card reader into the USB camera connector,

Yes, but the cf reader needs to be self-powered or running off a powered hub, otherwise you get a message from the iPad about it drawing too much power.

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kin Lau said:
Yes, but the cf reader needs to be self-powered or running off a powered hub, otherwise you get a message from the iPad about it drawing too much power.

I've never seen a self powered cf reader, that sounds like it should do the job!

OP
beach1ady

beach1ady

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thank you for your input. However, as I said, I'm an amateur and even on my African Safari I did not have a few hundred gigs of images. I dislike culling thru my photos on the tiny Cannon screen and the screen size is one of the main reasons that I want to do it on the iPad. I also have the 64GB iPad 2 with 30GB free. So, I sincerely doubt that I'll have the space issue that you do.

Good luck with a solution that works for you.

Phine00Del

iPF Noob
Reaction score
beach1ady said:
Has anyone used Photosmith to know if it does sync other than with Lightroom?

I downloaded Photosmith yesterday (it was just released yesterday) and tried it out with lightroom and it worked perfectly and efficiently. I don't think you can use it with any other software as it was designed for use with lightroom. So far I really like it and am looking forward to using it on vacation next month.

Here's more information:
http://blog.photosmithapp.com/

Most reactions