What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear Facing Camera .......... ITS BROKEN!!!b

A. GOODWIN

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Note : I'm calling the camera that is facing the user or on the touch screen the rear facing camera and the camera on the case side the front camera .

Hi all ,perhaps somebody has had this happen to their phone or iPad as I read that
It happens a lot of times and of most of these times it occurs when updating
Software to the next IOS. .

I have the problem on an I Pad 2 running IOS 8.1.2 non jailbroken and no other additional camera apps installed . Only the native camera .
The front facing camera seems to not want to open the shutter ,(speculative) and
Is a black screen with the controls visible , but not functioning .

When I tap on the camera icon to open app my screen opens on the rear camera and the camera and the controls come up like Normal . When I change to select the front or rear camera by tapping on the icon camera on the screen to rotate the one I want , it does rotate but is a dead screen ER black screen. To change it back to the camera rear facing I have to close the app and reopen as in a normal opening step.

I've tried the following procedures and usually with hardware small issues
On of these should have corrected . I am thinking its a software issue and am
probably to talk to apple support .
Maybe not though perhaps one of the members has a fix . I hope so dealing with Apple. Is grueling

1) cleared a everything running in background and tried to clear the camera app itself by tapping and holding till a check mark appeared on the icon , then pulled To top of screen and released...no help camera not working

2) tried to soft reset by sliding power button to right and Blah blah blah .......
No help camera not working

3 ) performed a soft restart by holding home button and power sleep button at same time . No Help camera not working

4) performed a hard reset. Went into settings> general >reset >reset all ...
No help camera not working .

Any way ......thanks for viewing post ,ER thread or whatever it's called . Some well needed advice and help with issue , I am grateful for input thanks A. G.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello again - just some terminology because your definitions are confusing and conflicting:

The 'Rear Camera' is on the back on your iPad and is used for the best quality images (although on an iPad 2 which I used to own, the resolution is poor, sorry) - that one is now called the iSight Camera and much improved on newer models.

The 'Front Camera' is at the top of the iPad on the viewing screen side, and is now the FaceTime Camera, since that is an important function (probably could also be called the 'Selfie Camera' these days).

'Restart' is the process of holding down the ON-OFF button until the power slider appears allowing the iPad to be turned off; 'Reset' is holding down both the ON-OFF & the HOME buttons until the Apple logo appears, then releasing and letting the iPad reboot - make sure that your have done the latter properly.

If none of these suggestions help, then check that the front camera lens is clean - really doubt that is the issue but who knows? If still a problem, a visit to an Apple store or a phone call may be the next step - the iPad 2 came out in 2011, so very well could be a hardware issue? Good luck and let us know. Dave :)

Last edited:
OP
A. GOODWIN

A. GOODWIN

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hey thank s for the reply . I did get the two mixed up in the
Reset /restart, and I know it as you stated .......and was late and made the typos from a worse standpoint ,that I sometimes often get in to big of hurry. The other worse thing that one does besides being in to much hurry , is not correcting after proof reading typos ,
Spelling . Etc etc.... .and knowing there are some but does not go back and,correct . Thats,just laziness , . I thought I put a note in begining of post about front and rear camera . Is only a reference to make ease of conversations . Iwill got back and edit
Thanks for your time and your input .

Most reactions

Latest posts