What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water Damage Help

No BS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I spilled milk on my iPad 2. It was stuck in a boot loop. I tried to restore it in restore mode & DFU mode with no success. I removed the screen and saw some corrosion up by the camera and a little on the board that the rear camera & power/volume cable connect to (don't know what it's called.) It should also be noted that this is the "old" version of the iPad 2 with the clamp style power/volume cable not the new plug in style. I cleaned the corrosion on the board & camera but the iPad still wouldn't restore. Then I unplugged the audio jack/front camera/mic assembly from the motherboard & sucessfully restored the iPad. Everything worked except obviously the audio jack, mic & cameras (not even the back camera but I thought it was just because the curcuit wasn't completed.) So I ordered everything, audio jack, front camera, mic assembly, rear camera (just to be safe) & power/volume/mute flex cable. First I replaced the audio jack, front camera & mic assembly (since this seamed to be the main problem,) plugged it into the motherboard and everything worked fine. Great, I thought, until I opened the camera app and the shutter didn't open. So I replaced the rear camera & power/volume/mute flex, powered it on, opened the camera app & got a blurry image from the rear camera. I noticed the lense protector on the case was scuffed up so I removed the rear camera, cleaned it with a microfiber cloth & re-assembled. Unfortunately I got the same blurry, grainy image as before & when I tried to switch to the front cam the shutter wouldn't open. I checked my connections, everything was good. Next I tried the microphone, nothing, mic picked up no sound. So I tried watching a video and got sound out of the speaker & headphones. So now I'm stuck. I have no idea why the rear camera is blurry and the front camera and mic don't work. Could it be faulty parts? I ordered everything from Wholesale Gadget Parts, which I thought was pretty reputable (although there was a problem with my volume down button not clicking, it still works but doesn't click & they agreed to replace it.) Could the rest of my parts be defective too? Or is my motherboard fried?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's quite possible that there was more damage to the iPad than what you noticed.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I spilled milk on my iPad 2. It was stuck in a boot loop. I tried to restore it in restore mode & DFU mode with no success. I removed the screen and saw some corrosion up by the camera and a little on the board that the rear camera & power/volume cable connect to (don't know what it's called.) It should also be noted that this is the "old" version of the iPad 2 with the clamp style power/volume cable not the new plug in style. I cleaned the corrosion on the board & camera but the iPad still wouldn't restore. Then I unplugged the audio jack/front camera/mic assembly from the motherboard & sucessfully restored the iPad. Everything worked except obviously the audio jack, mic & cameras (not even the back camera but I thought it was just because the curcuit wasn't completed.) So I ordered everything, audio jack, front camera, mic assembly, rear camera (just to be safe) & power/volume/mute flex cable. First I replaced the audio jack, front camera & mic assembly (since this seamed to be the main problem,) plugged it into the motherboard and everything worked fine. Great, I thought, until I opened the camera app and the shutter didn't open. So I replaced the rear camera & power/volume/mute flex, powered it on, opened the camera app & got a blurry image from the rear camera. I noticed the lense protector on the case was scuffed up so I removed the rear camera, cleaned it with a microfiber cloth & re-assembled. Unfortunately I got the same blurry, grainy image as before & when I tried to switch to the front cam the shutter wouldn't open. I checked my connections, everything was good. Next I tried the microphone, nothing, mic picked up no sound. So I tried watching a video and got sound out of the speaker & headphones. So now I'm stuck. I have no idea why the rear camera is blurry and the front camera and mic don't work. Could it be faulty parts? I ordered everything from Wholesale Gadget Parts, which I thought was pretty reputable (although there was a problem with my volume down button not clicking, it still works but doesn't click & they agreed to replace it.) Could the rest of my parts be defective too? Or is my motherboard fried?

Hello No BS and welcome to the forum. Pfew, that is one long paragraph! May I suggest, should you make a future post of this length, that you break it up into a more easily readable form by separate short paragraphs, so we can all more easily follow what you are saying.

Your post is a long discussion of what you did after you spilled milk on your iPad2. But there are a number of questions there seeking some answers, so I have moved your thread to the iPad DIY sub-forum, where you stand a better chance of receiving assistance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts