What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Real reason Apple patches jailbreaks?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just don't understand why apple wants to take away the users ability to personalize their iPads. I understand the fact that people may download illegal apps but for the legit users like myself why all the fuss????

Each Jailbreak is based on a security flaw (especially the unteathered ones). I'm in favor of Apple providing a secure way to give (knowlegable and forwarned) uses total access to their devices. I'm not in favor of them intentionaly leaving security holes in the system as a convineince to jailbreaking.

Since only a very small portion of the market is interested in jailbreaking, Apple probably does not see any reason they should go to the trouble to provide an approved path. On the other side, there they have lots of incentive and pressure to make iOS as secure as possible.

And so, the saga will most likely continue.

There may be other factors. I'm not rulling out the possibilith of 'evil' marketing geniuses trying to take over the world, but I'm not going to spend a lot of time worrying about it when there are simple, practical, reasons that things are they way they are.

OP
inmy328xi

inmy328xi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lol don't like apple culture, thats a bigger rant, but their devices,IPhone and iPad are good products made great by 3rd party developers that do not abide by a culture I wholly do not accept.

I like what you say here, apple creates these products but it's the software and application developers that really enhance and make these products what they are. It's unfortunate that even though we the people can develop apps for apples profit but we can't have sole "custody" of our 500-700 dollar investment. It's so unfortunate.

Do it well or not at all! #EAWF

brrip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh!! I am a sickie and not thinking. Thanks, Mark.:eek:

tsk :p

Also, I read on engadget that he doesn't seem to be pursuing the matter. Smart choice probably, given the size of Apple's legal team. Plus if they didn't use his code, the feature in itself is too much of a no-brainer to be lawsuit worthy.

Quote: Hughes went on to tell The Register that he was "surprised" by the similarities, but he hasn't offered any indication that he plans to push the issue any further.

Last edited:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has a history of "borrowing ideas" from its very start. Most famous is the mouse interface. If their lawyers can cover it they'll take. Isn't it the American way?
Nothin' new under the sun...

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh!! I am a sickie and not thinking. Thanks, Mark.:eek:

tsk :p

Also, I read on engadget that he doesn't seem to be pursuing the matter. Smart choice probably, given the size of Apple's legal team. Plus if they didn't use his code, the feature in itself is too much of a no-brainer to be lawsuit worthy.

Quote: Hughes went on to tell The Register that he was "surprised" by the similarities, but he hasn't offered any indication that he plans to push the issue any further.

Thanks for sharing ~ learn something new every day!

Apple has a history of "borrowing ideas" from its very start. Most famous is the mouse interface. If their lawyers can cover it they'll take. Isn't it the American way?
Nothin' new under the sun...

Ouch, Ivan. :(

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ponder this, iOS5 can push updates (patches) down automatically suppose they don't offer an option to opt out (that is the end user has no control over them) that should be interesting for jb devices.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would think that legally they have to have an option to have automatic updates on or off. I know on my pc I can turn it off. The iPad is my property, it was not subsidized in any way so they would have no right to change my device without my permission. I think there would be a huge class action suit if they did not give you the option of disabling it. When I heard about the over the air updates that was the same question that came to my mind... will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Froznking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally I would take apple to court.. It's not necessarily about winning or losing it is to tarnish apples "image" with regular non thinking folks :p ...

"I" products are superior to others for one good reason. Itsvall the same crap just different packaging. Remember how cheesy and crappy the first 3 gens of iPods were? If someone dumps this much money on to one type of product they better have e best or they are just wasting money.

Even then I products are only superior because the amount of people who use them has created an "I" economy. The 3rd party companies should be allowed to use this economic market that has been created, the American way. Apple came out with Netscape for use on microsofts software, so why can't another company come out with a proper mobile browser not the crap safari that comes on it, I know there are approved browsers without jail breaking, but they are still crap. As I remember this I the exact reason why apple took microsoft to court over their monopoly... Apple execs should be tarred and feathered for that great injustice. Or the government should sue apple for wasting our tax dollar for them to only do the same thing 20 years later. Microsoft needs to play devils advocate and come out with a browser that instantly jailbreaks your phone. I would support that. Now I hope it was a joke when the rumors of the American I tax were spreading, but in all reality I can wholly understand why the governemnt would tax the crap out of I products

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Some day I want to read a rant about how other people are intelligent, thoughtful, and well informed, but still wrong because of fact, fact fact, argument, conclusion.

Ok, technically that would not be a rant.

AdAbro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know that people that JB can also get paid music and apps for free but come on.....be a man and pay up!! You can't even pay 1-5$ for music or apps? WOW!!!!
Not everything is free so deal with it! ITS LIFE!!!!

Last edited:

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AdAbro said:
I know that people that JB can also get paid music and apps for free but come on.....be a man and pay up!! You can't even pay 1-5$ for music or apps? WOW!!!!
Not everything is free so deal with it! ITS LIFE!!!!

And those people deserve to get paid because they worked hard on whatever it is.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
From everything I've read the mainstream jailbreak community is very anti-pirate. After all, they are just developers who want to do more with the device than Apple allows. That does not mean they don't care about getting paid, or watching other people get ripped off.

Most reactions

Latest posts