What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Real reason Apple patches jailbreaks?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know that people that JB can also get paid music and apps for free but come on.....be a man and pay up!! You can't even pay 1-5$ for music or apps? WOW!!!!
Not everything is free so deal with it! ITS LIFE!!!!

I agree.

But let's not turn this thread into a discussion about pirates. Let's stay on topic.:)

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
From everything I've read the mainstream jailbreak community is very anti-pirate. After all, they are just developers who want to do more with the device than Apple allows. That does not mean they don't care about getting paid, or watching other people get ripped off.

Yet all people (except one person) in my school jailbreak for piracy and think that it's the only reason for it. Maybe the Dev teams should put a "do not pirate" message on their software.

Sent from my interestingcompanionPad using iPF!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sad. And yet it is another reasons for Apple to continue to fight jailbreaking. Futile, of course, but many a good cause is hopeless of a final solutions.

@Sweetpoison - did that help? :D

AdAbro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
I agree.

But let's not turn this thread into a discussion about pirates. Let's stay on topic.:)

Oh sorry bout that:)

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sad. And yet it is another reasons for Apple to continue to fight jailbreaking. Futile, of course, but many a good cause is hopeless of a final solutions.

;):)

SweetPoison said:
I agree.

Oh sorry bout that:)

No worries!

brrip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

Frankly, android doesn't have all these measures to counter piracy/modding, in fact modding is encouraged. That's exactly why android is gaining market share as quickly as it is. So what's 'good cause' about shutting down jailbreak? I'm not fanboy-ing here (I think) but apple needs to give developers a bit more room to play with the user interface. That's essentially what they're countering by shutting down jailbreak.

If they'd given us more features like theming and ridiculously obvious things like retinapad as iOS5 (on iPad) features instead of iMessage (think whatsapp) and social network integration (think rockmelt), maybe we wouldn't need to jailbreak.

So what I'm trying to say here is: either keep up with the game or stop trying to shut down the people who're trying to help you.

Apple has to do one of the two things to keep their lead on the market. Eventually the AppStore will be challenged by the Android Market, and without the AppStore's awesome app superiority, I doubt there'll be any reason, at least for me, to stick to iOS.

It'd be awesome if it came out soon! :):)

Reaction score
twerppoet said:
From everything I've read the mainstream jailbreak community is very anti-pirate. After all, they are just developers who want to do more with the device than Apple allows. That does not mean they don't care about getting paid, or watching other people get ripped off.

Yet all people (except one person) in my school jailbreak for piracy and think that it's the only reason for it. Maybe the Dev teams should put a "do not pirate" message on their software.

Sent from my interestingcompanionPad using iPF!

That is why Apple is doing this

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011...ology-stops-iphones-from-filming-live-events/
They are in the business of making money , not for anything else and in their view the revenue stream is best gotten by protecting their product as well as those who they gain revenue from .
Stealing isn't right or privilege just because folks want it to be.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Which is why I posted about the possibility of "forced" upgrades. That would allow for small changes as often as required. About all this lawsuit talk....good luck suing Apple, but remember you bought your iDevice but licensed their software and I am sure that if you read through the license agreement there is probably something in there that says they have the right to make changes without having to ask your permission (I have not actually read it myself). So if indeed Apple wanted to get tough on JB this would be a tool they could possibly use.

brrip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FoxMcWeezer said:
The idea is still stolen regardless if the Patent Office has it in their drawers.

Then tell acer they stole it. The new acer tab does wifi sync.

android never rejected apps that provided the feature just so they could swoop in later and introduce it later, just saying.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
brrip said:
android never rejected apps that provided the feature just so they could swoop in later and introduce it later, just saying.

He says apple stole it. So did android. That was my point.

brrip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
brrip said:

He says apple stole it. So did android. That was my point.

Fair enough, it's not stealing. But what do you call rejecting someone's idea, and then introducing it as your own? My english fails me :p

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
brrip said:
Fair enough, it's not stealing. But what do you call rejecting someone's idea, and then introducing it as your own? My english fails me :p

I call them jerks. :D

Last edited:

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know when I post this people are going to think I am defending Apple's appropriation of an idea developed by someone else but let's actually look at this. While the guy who wrote this, presented it to Apple and they rejected it as long as they did not copy his code the did not actully steal anything if he did not copywrite the idea. When does the idea belong to someone, when he thinks it up or actually takes the proper steps to prove it's his. It's interesting the media is making more out of this than the guy is and as far as I know he has not taken any type of action against Apple. Now let's look at another example in reverse Apple came out with airprint and I really wanted to be able to print to the three printers I already had on my network without having to purchase new ones. In doing some research I came across a web site where an enterprising gentleman had developed some code that would allow you to run an airprint service on one of your networks PC's that would enable access to your network printers. Apple contacted him about the fact that he had used some of "thier" code in his program so he rewrote it and Apple went away. So how many of you read anything on any website about him stealing anything from Apple where was all the publicity about that. The only difference is that we want to hate the "big" guy, they are always the one doing wrong, the "little" guy was our champion helping us to get something for free from the "man". It's just human nature. By the way I think Apple should do the right thing and either hire this guy or compensate him somewhat for showing that Wi-fi sync was an idea good enough to make money on Cydia, after all he did kind of pave the way.

Last edited:

Most reactions